Railroad Forums 

• 9 Bergen towns sue NJ Transit over new track plans

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#19779  by nick11a

The poor folks in Red Bank have a right to complain- but they don't. Trains can easily hold up the traffic in that town for five minutes (I have seen this a number of times.)

#19873  by MickD

Ditto for Glen Rock, that has both the BC&ML's 2 blocks away from each other.Granted there is a an escape route from Glen Ave to Maple Ave,
but except for the rush hour the delays are minimal.But sidings on PVL are not going to create a situation like West Shore,having freight trains stopped and tying up crossings for any great length of time.These trains
will come and go quickly.People do get frustrated in Glen Rock but a lot of them appreciate the better access to NYC increased service has brought over the years.And during Erie&EL days when there was a lot more freight traffic going through, it certainly didn't diminish the quality of life.
 #19898  by DocJohn

Some questions:

How long will the sidings be?

What train frequency is planned once the sidings are added?

#19973  by IRFCA_RRfan

I'm a newbie on this list.... moved to river edge recently - not knowing that the trains were "commuter schedule" Now I'm stuck with one-way trains and can't go anywhere by train on weekends or off/non commute hours :( I have to go in and out of NY and EWR at any given hour not 'commute' hour. Its just ridiculous. The last train out is @ 8.30am and nothing on weekends.
I'm also a small biz startup and I can't think of bringing employees up into PVL area by train commute! (forget the busses)
So I've decided to go look for office space along M/B lines or M/E lines - anywhere but PVL! :P
I can only see these towns and nimby's as shortsighted and losing out on not just biz, but other issues like taking cars off the road and giving weekend workers/travellers a relief off the tunnels/pikes/parkways.
Lastly I'm leaving river edge as a resident as soon as I can.. and am sure to spread the word about PVL to F&F who ask about moving to Bergen towns

#19982  by rvrrhs

IRFCA_RRfan wrote:I'm a newbie on this list.... moved to river edge recently - not knowing that the trains were "commuter schedule" Now I'm stuck with one-way trains and can't go anywhere by train on weekends or off/non commute hours :( I have to go in and out of NY and EWR at any given hour not 'commute' hour. Its just ridiculous. The last train out is @ 8.30am and nothing on weekends.
I'm also a small biz startup and I can't think of bringing employees up into PVL area by train commute! (forget the busses)
So I've decided to go look for office space along M/B lines or M/E lines - anywhere but PVL! :P
I can only see these towns and nimby's as shortsighted and losing out on not just biz, but other issues like taking cars off the road and giving weekend workers/travellers a relief off the tunnels/pikes/parkways.
Lastly I'm leaving river edge as a resident as soon as I can.. and am sure to spread the word about PVL to F&F who ask about moving to Bergen towns
IRFCA_RRfan,

You shouldn't be telling us, you should be telling your local elected officials!!! If you and other small business owners like yourself started complaining (articulately) that the lack of commuter rail service is driving your business out of town/out of county, I'm sure they'll take at least a little notice.

#19987  by JFB

It all comes down to this: a passing siding, or another two lanes on Main Street--where the town center used to be.

Common sense predicts, Bergen decides.

#20085  by BlockLine_4111

Bi-directional weekend service - NJT can run a single trainset all day long (up & down the PVL) w/o sidings. Sidings not needed for weekends.

Bi-directional weekday service - I say run bi-directional weekday service w/o the Oradell siding. Using only the Hackensack and Pearl River sidings perhaps NJT can sequence the trains tightly with westbound morning trains running as "semi-expresses" skipping Oradell (and perhaps other northern BC NIMBY towns) entirely. Upgrade the single track and signals for 60-79 MPH running for these "semi-expresses."

#20114  by jdelgrosso

Isn't there heavy traffic on this line on the weekdays?
Last edited by jdelgrosso on Sat May 22, 2004 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#20929  by NIMBYkiller

Plain and simple. When you move to an area near RR tracks, always expect things to change. If you don't want to deal with the changes, then don't move there.

#21668  by dave76

Like Blockline said earlier NJT should threaten those towns, We build the sidings or we abandon and rip out the tracks, and no one has service. How fast do you think the town officials will give the OK then. Think about another 5000 to 6000 cars on RT17 during rush hour. Not very pretty.

#23114  by duey

dave76...the people that are complaining in those communities have no clue how important this rail service (both existing and proposed) is. As such, they would welcome the tracks being torn up.