Railroad Forums 

• Railfan petition

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#21096  by DutchRailnut

One of our rail/transit fans created a petition on the spreading Photo ban at:
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/notransitpicban
please read it and consider signing it, this could spread to freight railroads as well.
and what would be next ?? the shut down of rail forums ??

#21113  by nick11a

Signed it. Even if you don't participate in rail photography but like looking at the pictures, sign it please. Yes, I am talking to you. Yeah, you. It only takes a moment.

#21116  by TAMR213

Signed it. Hopefully this can do something about the current situation.

#21119  by transit383

and what would be next ?? the shut down of rail forums ??
Or even worse, the shut down of railfan sites in general. This kind of reminds me of what big networks do to small fan sites about shows on their network. Take The Simpsons for example, FOX ordered the shut down of numerous fan sites simply because they were unofficial. Read all about it here:

http://animatedtv.about.com/library/wee ... 11100a.htm

I hope it doesn't come to that with railfan sites....

On a lighter note though, I saw on the FOX29 news last night that Mayor Bloomberg is strongly against the photo ban on NYC Subways, calling it "overzealous." Hopefully other officials will side with him.

#21127  by uzplayer

Petition signed.

#21136  by TR-00

The petition is a nice idea, but most likely, transportation and government officials will find it a meaningless collection of electronic signatures. Especially since some insist on not signing their full names!

Since most transit agencies receive at least a modicum of federal funding, the best way to get their attention is to have Congress making inquiries about these policies. This means contacting YOUR congressional representative.

As a BLET State Legislative representative, I would suggest the following:

1.SEND A TELEGRAM Yes, this will cost you less than 10 bucks, but is hundreds of times more effective than an e-mail. Considering that your representative receives thousands of emails daily (plus spam), the odds are that yours won't be noticed. Telegrams are noticed and some offices require that they be immediatly answered. A representative receiving 20, 50 or 100 telegrams addressing the same subject will take notice.

2.SEND A WRITTEN LETTER Again it gets noticed. Find your low tech pen and paper and write a letter. Make it short and to the point. Express concern, and avoid name calling. It will get results. Avoid using a form letter (if someone helpfully posts one) since even the slowest clerk will see it for what it is. Use your own words (pretend you're chatting with your representative if all else fails).

To find your Congressional Representative, go to

http://www.congress.org

It is often best to send these communications to his/her local or main district office, rather than to the Washington DC office. The locals will certainly give it the full attention.

How about it? Is it worth 10 bucks to you?

#21456  by jdelgrosso

I am an American and I signed it based on my first amendment!
 #21479  by jmp883

Just my thoughts... the photography ban may stop us from being able to railfan from trackside but losing the forums? Let's not jump off the deep end just yet.

The photography ban could be put in place and enforced because it involves private property and property owners have every right to control any and all access and activity on their property. I'm not going to open the can of worms about photography done from public property-that has already been addressed elsewhere on the NJT thread.

However, the thought that this outlet or any other print/electronic media being shut down seems to me to be a slight overreaction. Trains, Railfan & Railroad, Railpace, Extra 2200 South, Morning Sun Books, Pentrex, and all the other railfan magazine, book, video, and website publishers would have suits filed immediately. Not only would it be an infringement of 1st Amendment rights it would also cost those publishing companies jobs, something the elected representatives of those districts are usually pretty sensitive to.

In addition to the petition posted here, which I did sign, we should all do what TR-00 recommends. As he said, it's hard to ignore large piles of snail mail and telegrams coming across your desk.

As railfans we have to remember, whether we like it or not, that railfan life has changed since 9/11. We need to remember that any form of public transport will always be an obvious target and anyone taking a more than passing interest in it MAY be considered suspicious. Our best defense is that when we are trackside to act appropriately. Don't trespass on railroad or private property and if asked by a law enforcement officer, railroad or municipal, to stop your photography or to leave the area, politely comply. I've read numerous entries on different threads here of the defiant attitude shown by some railfans towards police officers. Whether they are just posturing here on the forums or they really did cop an attitude with the officer is irrelevant. Working as a police dispatcher for the last 14 years (minus 1 year as a train dispatcher), I will tell you that the more defiant you get with an officer the more aggravated he will get. Even if you don't get arrested there will almost certainly be an incident report made and I promise you, everything you said and the attitude you had, will be entered in that report. Remember, the actions of a few can ruin it for all of us.

Is this policy right or wrong? I don't know the answer to that question, only time will tell what the right answer will be.

Joe P :D
Long Live The EL

#21538  by kevikens

I signed the petition and wrote in an intelligible comment but when I looked into some of the other comments I saw a number of inane comments that will tend to turn off any receiver. Please don't write infammatory or off topic comments and the above advice is good . Write a paper letter with signature and return adress.

#21949  by n01jd1

TR-00 wrote:The petition is a nice idea, but most likely, transportation and government officials will find it a meaningless collection of electronic signatures. Especially since some insist on not signing their full names!
Some people probably did not sign thier full names out of fear that the government could use thier signatures on the petition against them sometime in the future. One never knows where the "War on Terrorism" will take us. The way things are going right now with our government and government agencies becoming more paranoid by the day, we might even have witch hunts similar to the trials held by Sen. Joe Mc Carthy back in the 1950's. Who knows, just being a railfan in the coming months or years may be just as bad as being associated with communists back during that awful period. I know those thoughts ran through my mind and it took awhile for me to decide to sign the petition.

#22078  by Ken W2KB

The websites that were referenced were closed down because they contained copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. So long as this, or any other forum, does not run afoul of copyright or other laws, there is no legal basis to force their closure.

#22100  by kevikens

What a tragedy that some railfans would be so intimidated by the state that they would be afraid of signing a petition. If there is any absolute right we have from the Bill of Rights is is to "petion the government for a redress of grievances". If we loose this the terrorists have triumphed.