Railroad Forums 

• Problems in Summit Yesterday, 5/25

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#21869  by nick11a

Last night I decided to go railfanning in Millington, so I jumped on the 5:51 train from Hoboken and rode it to Millington.. I was expecting to photograph the rush hour trains. But the train I rode on (the one right before the first Gladstone MidTOWN Direct) was the last train to be on time. I heard over the automated speakers at Millington that trains would be temporarily delayed due to overhead catenary problems. Well, I waited and waited and finally the first MidTOWN train arrived an hour late. But then the not another train for another hour. Finally a Hoboken train pulled through now two hours late. And there were still other rush hour trains stuck around Summit (according to a conductor) including the second MidTOWN direct train. This was unfortunate for me because I was relying to catch the 8:00 train from Peapack to get back to Berkeley Heights. I was worried the train from Peapack to Hoboken might be cancelled or indefinitely delayed because of the oncoming rush hour trains. It was now past eight and no other trains came. Finally, my Peapack to Hoboken train finally came (half an hour late.) We passed the second MidTOWN train at Stirling (which was now over two hours late) and got back to Berkeley Heights. Right when I got back, things started to flow more. More rush hour trains were able to come through. Most past through Berkeley Heights at around 9 PM. Must have been a real mess in Summit last night! Anyone have more detailed info? Needless to say, I chose the wrong night to go railfanning.

#21870  by njt4172

Nick,

Just another uneventful day on the M&E.... :D Get to speak to any ex EL conductors??

Steve

#21875  by nick11a

No, I doubt it. This guy was pretty young!

EDIT: The guy asked why I rode out to Millington (and also Peapack too since I had the time and there wasn't going be a reverse direction train for a while) and back into Berkeley Heights, and I told him I was a railfan and he laughed and he said "Oh, one of those." He was a nice guy though.