• LRV questions

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sery2831

I dont think the new folding doors recycle. They old sliding doors were replaced because there was alot of parts to them, and they were failing alot as they aged.

As for the couplers, the T uses one type, and almost ALL the equipment can couple with each other! The only problem is the height between types of cars. At Seashore we use the Type 3 plows to drag around the blue line trains and red line cars :-) There are pics on my web site... Also they used a Type 7 to pull the Type 5(#5734) to and from Boylston Station last time it was out.

by Robert Paniagua

There have been Borings being run on the B line as recently as a few months ago. I've been on a Boring ride from GCT-PKS with the destination signs saying B-Boston College just last month or two.

by RailBus63

The last time I recall seeing regular operation of the Boeing cars on Commonwealth Ave. was around 1996-97, when the rebuilds were just coming back into service from Amerail. At some point after that, the B became 100% Type 7 (along with the E as previously noted), the C was 100% LRV and the D was mostly Type 7 with LRV's usually rush hours only.

I haven't done much railfanning on the Green Line in the past few years, but I've heard that LRV's starting showing up on the B when the Type 7's and 8's were assigned to the C.

JD

by typesix

Running the LRVs on the D and C lines will likely help extend their lives. The D line doesn't have the start/stop cycles like the other lines(except Mattapan). The C line is short and relatively straight and reduces wear on the articulated joint. The B line is curvy and hilly from Packard's Corner to Chestnut Hill Ave along with having the most stops.