Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#164131  by modorney

There was a proposal to reverse run Caltrain during the afternoon commute at Millbrae. This would allow a BART to Caltrain transfer without going up and down stairs, whenever BART uses platform 3, which is most of the time.

What happened to this ? Did it get killed for a reason? Did it just die? Is it waiting for electrification?
 #164220  by fjcaron

Big reason why alot of trains do not use the platform on the #1 side, particularly southbounds is that dispatchers feel the riders will get confused when they see the train pull in on the other track. Thus causing them to have to go up and over to try and catch the train, causing delays and more confusion. But this isn't just the case at Millbrae, alot of dispatchers won't cross trains over to use the other main track because of the way the other stations are set up down the line. So putting in those information boards, and public address system was pointless if no one uses them to their advantage to inform passengers. Even more of a waste is the CTC if it's not used to it's full potential, many dispatchers still have the mindset of directional running like the old ABS days, which are long gone but you would never know it. I also thought too with the new schdule that some trains would flip at Redwood City and turnback to San Jose or San Francisco, I recall this being proposed but I guess it was never implemented.
modorney wrote:There was a proposal to reverse run Caltrain during the afternoon commute at Millbrae. This would allow a BART to Caltrain transfer without going up and down stairs, whenever BART uses platform 3, which is most of the time.

What happened to this ? Did it get killed for a reason? Did it just die? Is it waiting for electrification?
 #164549  by timz

"many dispatchers still have the mindset of directional running like the old ABS days, which are long gone but you would never know it."

Got an example where reverse-running would help?

#165140  by MetraRy

after taking caltrain i think it would make more sense to run the line lefthanded. Stations, shelters, and parking seem to be mostley on the left side of the right way
 #165719  by fjcaron

It's not necessarily running the whole line left handed, or reverse running the whole length SF to SJ or visa-versa. The mindset of the dispatchers comes into play with making run around moves, if a train that would normally be passed at say Redwood City (hypothetical) is falling down more than usual. Then rather than delay the following train even more, run him around using the crossovers at any of the various control points, but the station design also comes into the equation and their reluctance of running the trains on a different track. Because it creates alot of confusion among the passengers, and adds more delays if the crew waits for folks to make their way to the proper side of the train. But, the addition of the automated message boards, and the speakers at stations was also for one of these reasons if trains run on the other main to get folks notified and on the right side of the station. But even with these appliances at the dispatchers fingertips, they still elect to make the run around moves at the same places, and to keep everyone going on the same track. I could go on and on, but we'll save it for another post.
timz wrote:"many dispatchers still have the mindset of directional running like the old ABS days, which are long gone but you would never know it."

Got an example where reverse-running would help?