• South Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Railcar1

Definitely detouring
  by Bracdude181

True. Having to go that way as a detour would be rather long, but not completely unworkable. Maybe they could drop the Camden loads in Morrisville and have CA07 and CA15 go to and from there? Something like that.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

by R36 Combine Coach

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:18 am Should the delair bridge ever fail then what? Is conrail just gonna tell all their south jerseys customers too bad so sad?
Afraid of a Francis Scott Key scale disaster?

If something does happen, RiverLine light rail would have to suspended and CSAO running up to Trenton, clear the brush along side the Route 1 freeway north of the Trenton Transit Center and then connect with the NEC at the wye on the north side of town. All for six miles missing between Cranbury Station and Robbinsville, otherwise a
straight shot from Browns Yard and Oak Island.
  by Railcar1

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:21 am True. Having to go that way as a detour would be rather long, but not completely unworkable. Maybe they could drop the Camden loads in Morrisville and have CA07 and CA15 go to and from there? Something like that.

I would say completely unworkable which is why it was never thought of. The bridge may have issues from time to time but it’s not going anywhere.
  by AceMacSD

Railcar1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:23 pm It had instances in the past where it was stuck for a little while but it was fixed quick enough. I don’t think Conrail is too concerned about the bridge as it has lasted this long and it’s never really had a major issue to worry about. You have to remember that bridge was built a long time ago when stuff was built to last forever so to speak. As big as it is it’s probably not too complicated where any repairs that need to be made won’t take forever either, maybe someone who works for them here can confirm or explain it better.
The bridge in this case wasn't the problem. The trucker who hit the bridge and his company are the root cause of all this disruption to south Jersey's rail traffic. I'm sure NJT took a hit too since they've trackage rights. The bridge itself's fine. Has it's quirks but it's operational and in no need of replacement.
  by AceMacSD

Railcar1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:46 pm
Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:21 am True. Having to go that way as a detour would be rather long, but not completely unworkable. Maybe they could drop the Camden loads in Morrisville and have CA07 and CA15 go to and from there? Something like that.

I would say completely unworkable which is why it was never thought of. The bridge may have issues from time to time but it’s not going anywhere.
Absolutely right, brother. It's not going anywhere. That "detour" route is not worth investing in. Too many restrictions in play. Train length\weight, motive power, crews, lite rail, to name a few. Ain't a viable option. Better to just put up a service advisory to the customers, order up some trucks and take the hit if the bridge were to have a serious failure.
  by Railcar1

In my travels today I saw CA51 working in Barrington earlier (around 2) with NS 5310 and 5302. They had cars for the other customers today too.
  by Bracdude181

How often do they drop off cars for the SRNJ?

by Railcar1

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:09 pm How often do they drop off cars for the SRNJ?

I don’t know but it’s a shame the stone trains no longer run.
  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:09 pm How often do they drop off cars for the SRNJ?

They'll drop off\pick up on as needed. Went down there and cape may lines with the guys few weeks ago to see what's going on. Went to pleasantville and back. Not much work down there but there’s potential for growth if done right.
  by Bracdude181

Agreed. There was supposed to be someone leasing a bit of track on the Pleasantville IT but so far I don't think they've done anything. They were supposed to operate a transload facility. Did you see anything like that while you were there?

by jdh823

AceMacSD wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:56 am Not much work down there but there’s potential for growth if done right.
Unfortunately with the current guys that run the SRNJ, it'll stay stagnant.
  by Railcar1

jdh823 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:24 am
AceMacSD wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:56 am Not much work down there but there’s potential for growth if done right.
Unfortunately with the current guys that run the SRNJ, it'll stay stagnant.
That’s not good. Stone made a lot of money for that railroad I don’t understand what they’re doing down there.
  by Railcar1

AceMac- you’re very right about that. There’s a lot of potential down there it’s a shame it’s been what it’s been all these years. It’s nice there’s tourist trains but there should be more than that on both railroads.
  by Bracdude181

I had talked with a retired member of the SRNJ about those trains. He said the asphalt place that was getting the cars had a management change, and the new management wants nothing to do with trains at all, despite any financial benefits.