Railroad Forums 

• Bridge over Selkirk Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1642297  by interrobang

Greetings!

I will be in the Albany area this coming weekend. I will have time to stop and see Selkirk Yard. A twelve-year-old thread mentioned a bridge over the middle of the yard that is closed to cars but open to pedestrians. Is that bridge still there? Can you give me directions to it? I'll be coming from the west (staying in Voorheesville for the weekend).

Thanks very much!

RobR
 #1642376  by johnpbarlow

Not only did "Ben's Bridge" get removed but the bridge's southern embankment that provided a commanding elevated view of the locomotive servicing tracks, hump, and receiving yard has been leveled so CSX could add another through track. Net: there's nowhere to park and fraternize with local fans let alone get decent photos of the yard action.

Interestingly, Google Streetview continues to suggest that the southern approach to Ben's Bridge still exists as this October 2007 Streetview clip shows. But, in fact, that's not the case as this June 2023 view from county route 53 shows.

Unfortunately, you're about 15 years too late! It used to be a go-to train watching spot. :(
Attachments:
CSX Selkirk Yd rte 53 view June 2023.JPG
CSX Selkirk Yd rte 53 view June 2023.JPG (197.15 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Attachments:
(123.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet