Railroad Forums 

• Planned Visit to Buenos Aires

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1642111  by NYGL1267

I will be visiting the Buenos Aires area during late May and plan to spend a few days trackside. One of my targets is to photograph remaining RSD16, RSD35 and RSD39 locomotives, along with any G12 or G22 locomotives. I've read that these locomotive are assigned to several outlying commuter routes, including the line from Villa Ballester to Zarate. Has this changed and are the older locomotives still in use on the outlying routes? Would also like to photograph any freight trains. What routes contain the most freight traffic and where are the best locations to photograph these trains? Are any railroad yards accessible to photograph locomotives, specifically roster shots? Also, any safety tips for rail photographer is greatly appreciated.
 #1642425  by David Benton

No train tips, but i did spend 6 months backpacking in South America, albeit 35 years ago .
Don't wear Jewellery , wear your day pack on your chest , not your back , keep your camera out of site until you need to take a photo.Be wary of anyone who shows a interest in your camera or other belongings . do not let them touch it.
money pouch around your neck is the best , but keep everyday small change in your pocket , or elsewhere, so you don't have to pull out your pouch. Avoid been crowded on buses etc , or any crowd , back against a wall if you can .
Several USD small bills are handy , everyone would rather have them over local currency , and the exchange rate will be a lot better than the offical one.