Railroad Forums 

• Venture cars in winter?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1641886  by Tadman

Any word on how they perform in the winter? I just saw this video with the traps and that looks like a nightmare in Michigan or New York ice.

See 0:22

#1641894  by eolesen

Can't imagine it could be be too much worse than it is for an RV retractable step on a motorhome. Never once had one freeze up or ice up on me while driving on winter roads.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1641954  by ExCon90

Snow and ice accumulation? But the steps appear to be sheltered while the door is closed.

Just wondering: is there an interlock preventing a train from starting if all doors are not closed and steps retracted, or does it depend on the crew eyeballing the train and checking indicator lights before giving the highball?
 #1641969  by Railjunkie

west point wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:31 pm The steps did not start retracting until train was moving. They might snag something after clearing a platform?
What you didn't see is the Conductor key the doors shut while the train was in motion.
 #1641970  by Railjunkie

Tadman wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:18 am Any word on how they perform in the winter? I just saw this video with the traps and that looks like a nightmare in Michigan or New York ice.

See 0:22

https://youtu.be/MmUoej9MlD8?si=PS0DmrJ6VwtD3Emf
We have yet to receive these in Albany, but will wager a guess those retractable steps are going to be a bear after a trip or two out to the Falls or Montreal. That light powdery snow gets into everything then freezes, its gonna be great.
 #1641973  by Greg Moore

I have a photo of NYP bound Empire Service train that had started west of Albany.
Let's just say the vestibule was caked in snow... inside. On one hand, beautiful, on the other... a bit slippery.
 #1641984  by STrRedWolf

Greg Moore wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:14 am I have a photo of NYP bound Empire Service train that had started west of Albany.
Let's just say the vestibule was caked in snow... inside. On one hand, beautiful, on the other... a bit slippery.
The Lake Shore limited on Viewliner equipment had that issue when I was on it last year. So this isn't a new issue on the Venture cars.
 #1642019  by eolesen

If they're in good operating order, the torque on those retractable steps pushing down and out is going to overcome the 1" of snow that might accumulate. The bigger problem might be retracting them if they're left down.
 #1642037  by Railjunkie

Lets just say this has been tried before on planet far far away. Ohh how I hate to use this next couple of words but, the Turbo sets had retractable stairs for business class. They worked ish to never. I can see the same with these new cars.
 #1642044  by Tadman

To clarify the scenario I'm thinking of is heavy rain at ~32deg F. Then temp drops and it freezes. Can the steps open after being saturated with water and snow and then freezing solid?
 #1642093  by ExCon90

A bit late to be thinking about it, but I'm wondering how complicated and expensive it would be to have heated steps (for future orders, not retrofitted on existing equipment).