Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak NEC/Earthquake

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1641717  by Gilbert B Norman

Inspecting track, restricted speed, says Points Guy:
Amtrak said that it was inspecting its tracks along the Northeast corridor, and that train speeds were restricted as inspections were carried out.
Other reports note a 4.8 magnitude with the epicenter in Hunterdon County NJ, which is "sort of near" Princeton (rail service is the LV; nearest passenger is the CNJ at High Bridge)
 #1641720  by NaugyRR

Today was my first experience with an earthquake and I can confidently say I am not a fan.

My wife said she got rocked pretty good at the plaza in Albany. Railjunkie, were you working the yard this morning?
 #1641722  by Gilbert B Norman

My only "up close and personal" with an earthquake:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Coalinga_earthquake

I was aboard an aircraft at KSFO getting ready to leave for KORD. Suddenly, the aircraft shook as if a service vehicle had hit the aircraft. Then the announcement of a delay to inspect the aircraft and the runways.

After about a half hour, taxi, takeoff and on to Chicago without further incident.
 #1641723  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Title this the "April 5, 2024 Northeast Earthquake"

The epicenter was reported to be in Hunterdon County, NJ about four miles north of White House Station and
Lebanon, NJ about three miles underground by USGS...Closest passenger rail line is the western end of NJT's
Raritan Valley Line which serves those two stations...Closest Amtrak NEC route is between Princeton Junction
and New Brunswick seconding GBN's mention...Any rail (and other) infrastructure needs to have at least some
type of inspection after this rare - but not unknown in the Northeast - event...

I felt this earthquake about 90 miles due east on Long Island in my house - the reported time was 10:23 AM EDT.
There are large road construction vehicles stored on a nearby plot of land for ongoing road work that I initially
thought were being moved around - but this felt different and after tuning in to local news media I was right...

NR: Your location in Pine Plains, Dutchess County, NY is at least 100 miles north of the epicenter area...
How strong were the shocks there? Albany, NY is about 150 miles north as an estimated distance...
Just curious-with the mention of Empire State Plaza in Albany: Does your Wife work in one of the four Agency
buildings or the Corning Tower? (tallest building in Albany for those unaware)

One example of many news reports on the April 5, 2024 Northeast Earthquake:
https://accuweather.com/en/weather-news ... ut/1638080

Judging from videos sent to news sources YouTube is going to have a plethora of video available from
10:23 AM EDT about the "April 5, 2024 Northeast Earthquake" in the coming hours and days...

Let's hope this just turns into a "Where were YOU when...?" conversation for all of us and there are not any
serious problems with rail service or (any other) infrastructure on this memorable Friday...MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1641724  by NaugyRR

The shocks here in Pine Plains were short, only about twenty seconds, but enough to resonate fairly hard. Nothing fell off the shelves in the parts room, but you could see some hanging items sway and the counter felt like it was rocking side to side.

Coincidentally, my wife used to work in Corning Tower when she was with Department of Health. I bet she's glad that she isn't in it anymore. She's now in one of the four agency buildings working for Department of Public Service, the building closest to The Egg. She's on the 14th floor and had a few choice words to text me this morning when it hit.

My dad is further north yet, just outside Saratoga,and said he felt it as well.
 #1641729  by Gilbert B Norman

The New Madrid Fault has delivered "the Big One" in the past, reversing the flow of Ol' Man River, and could well deliver again in the future.

I only learned of such during Geology 101 - one of the more interesting electives, which I took to fulfil my 6 hours of Physical or Natural Sciences (wow, how the University of Illinois wanted to send "well rounded" accountants into the world).

Finally, as we move forth with this discussion (passenger rail related for the potential impact it could have had), let us not forget the twelve on Taiwan who "didn't come home".
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1641730  by CSRR573

Felt it in Boston. I was in the middle of a brake test and though the loco was moving, had to dump the thing!
 #1641732  by NaugyRR

Just felt an aftershock about five minutes ago (6PM EST), so that was fun
 #1641737  by eolesen

Rode out a couple high 4's and a 5.2 in a Tokyo high-rise on a five day trip once. Still gives me the willies thinking about it.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1641769  by Railjunkie

NaugyRR wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:28 pm Today was my first experience with an earthquake and I can confidently say I am not a fan.

My wife said she got rocked pretty good at the plaza in Albany. Railjunkie, were you working the yard this morning?
On vacation this week. I was driving home after dropping my wife and son off at the station for a trip to the city. My daughter goes to school in Union NJ not terribly from the epicenter. She felt nothing, her girlfriend said the entire dorm was shaking. I like her felt nothing kinda mad I missed it, Including the aftershocks.
 #1641771  by Railjunkie

CSRR573 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:08 pm Felt it in Boston. I was in the middle of a brake test and though the loco was moving, had to dump the thing!
While lacing a few expletives together I'm sure :-D :-D :-D
 #1641790  by STrRedWolf

A bit of sheer coincidence in another rail chat I'm in. A message earlier that day warned not to eat the cheeseburgers from Amtrak that day...

...and the earthquake happened about three hours later.

What the... what was put in those cheeseburgers?!? :sweat_smile:
 #1641796  by CSRR573

Railjunkie wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:24 am
CSRR573 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:08 pm Felt it in Boston. I was in the middle of a brake test and though the loco was moving, had to dump the thing!
While lacing a few expletives together I'm sure :-D :-D :-D
Absolutely!!