Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Empire, LIRR, MNRR/CTDOT Dual Mode Procurement - Charger Variants

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1638456  by robelybasis

MACTRAXX wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:08 pm RB - Thanks for the update - It is going to be interesting to see this new dual-mode Charger prototype when
it is released and shipped to Metro-North for testing and evaluation...Has there been any possible time line
mentioned about building the other units in the fleet remembering that Siemens has a order backlog?

MACTRAXX
First 2 units (301&302) are coming late 2024. I guess they are using 2 pilot locos
 #1638467  by NaugyRR

robelybasis wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:31 pm Seems that first of the new Metro-North chargers are moving along at siemens. One seems to be already painted at 2:29
Not gonna lie, when I first watched it I only saw the Amtrak unit in the front of the shot and thought "That's not Metro-North, wtf?" then after watching it a second time I saw the splash of gray with red and blue striping in the background lol.
 #1638755  by ST Saint

Additional photos of the first unit on slide 4: NGEC Slides
Final Design Review completed and approved formally May 2023
First Article Inspections began in January 2023 and will continue to first fully assembled locomotive in a few months.
Loco #301 completed final assembly in December 2023 and moved to factory testing
Loco #302 is in final assembly
Loco #303 carshell in production

Pre-revenue service testing at MNR planned second half of 2024
Pilot locomotive on schedule for service before the end of 2025
Delivery schedule for the remaining locomotives through 2027
 #1638765  by MACTRAXX

ST - Thanks for the NGEC report on the new Siemens Charger dual-mode locomotives for MNCR...
The Artist Rendering alone is well worth a look - I noted the emphasis of the two third rail shoes on each truck.

The contradiction of the number series that these new units will use (300s mentioned in report, 400s in both
renderings used) is something that I noticed. We probably will not know which series is chosen until the new
units are delivered to MNCR...Seeing a possible timeline of delivery offers a clue as to when the Amtrak and
LIRR dual-mode Charger variants may be finally built...MACTRAXX
 #1638808  by SRich

Its funny that in the NGEC report the P32AC-DM only use third for last 4 a 5 miles and the new Chargers are capable to run the entire third rail area in electric mode. But on youtube there is an video of an P32AC-DM with an dead diesel engine running for over 50 minutes on third rail.

I am excited about the new dual mode Chargers and i wonder now that scuttlebut is saying that Amtrak maybe changing the battery/diesel-electric ICT to electric/diesel-electric ICT that Amtrak maybe is considering to buy dual-mode Chargers for their LD fleet.
 #1638912  by NH2060

SRich wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:07 pmi wonder now that scuttlebut is saying that Amtrak maybe changing the battery/diesel-electric ICT to electric/diesel-electric ICT that Amtrak maybe is considering to buy dual-mode Chargers for their LD fleet.
If true I’m sure the FDNY had a few words with Amtrak about the issue of the large lithium battery pack in the first car. Whoever wanted *that* brilliant idea baked into the Empire Service trainsets deserves to be fired.
 #1638958  by west point

SRich wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:07 pm
I am excited about the new dual mode Chargers and i wonder now that scuttlebut is saying that Amtrak maybe changing the battery/diesel-electric ICT to electric/diesel-electric ICT that Amtrak maybe is considering to buy dual-mode Chargers for their LD fleet.
If true, that is a welcome change. Even though supposed to be for NY trains the interchangeability with the future AIROs beats that restriction. Plus, modern 12.5 / 25 kV hZ beats the DC 3rd rail both less line loss and less construction costs. Being able to use any future CAT anywhere beats third rail. Overhead CAT much safer IMO than 3rd rail that can be trespassed too easily.
 #1638983  by ElectricTraction

SRich wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:03 pmI know, the limit on MNRR is 80mph, and P32AC can only go 60 mph in electric mode right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_9HExyle00
It's cool that the P32AC-DM can limp along to Croton without the diesel, but they have significantly less horsepower in electric mode vs. diesel mode. In order to keep schedule, they have to be running on diesel. The Poughkeepsie trains also, by design have limited/no stops between GCT and Croton, so the lack of available horsepower wouldn't be as big of an impediment to keeping schedule.
 #1639152  by Jeff Smith

Looking forward to seeing them test on MNR late 2024! I'm guessing they'll test on Harlem and Hudson for the third-rail capability.

I wonder if they'll have the "over-under" M8 style shoes; they could be used on the Penn Access service then.