Railroad Forums 

• Lower Saucon (Bethlehem), PA Derailment, 3/2/24

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1639842  by fromway

Today, NS has a derailment in Lower Saucon Twp, PA near Bethlehem. Pictures show at least two engines partially in the Lehigh River. One posting said that three trains were involved, but has not been confirmed. Cleanup crews were in the river and on the river bank cleaning up fuel and plastic pellets. Not much other info.
 #1639849  by NHV 669

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/02/norfolk ... vania.html
Rebecca Picciotto wrote: A Norfolk Southern freight train derailed Saturday morning in Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley, spilling diesel and plastic pellets into the nearby river, according to local authorities.

No injuries were reported upon a preliminary assessment of the scene, according to police and fire rescue departments in the Lower Saucon Township where the derailment took place......

....."There currently are no evacuations or hazardous material threat to the community," the Lower Saucon Township Police Department said in a statement at 11 a.m. ET, hours after first responders were dispatched. "We request that everyone stay out of the area so first responders and Norfolk Southern personnel can continue to assess and work at the scene."

Emergency responders deployed "containment booms," barriers used to control the spread of oil, in the Lehigh River where there was a diesel fuel spill from one of the train cars, police said. One of the train cars also released a heap of polypropylene plastic pellets.
Comments elsewhere indicate 268 hit 24X (both intermodal), and then 19G (mixed freight) hit that mess and ended up in the river.
 #1639885  by Jeff Smith

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/03/02/us/e ... index.html
“Preliminary information indicates that an eastbound NS train struck a stopped NS train on the same track,” Sulick said in the an NTSB statement. “The wreckage from the striking train spilled onto an adjacent track and was struck by a westbound NS train. The collision led to the derailment of an unknown number of cars.”
 #1639897  by videobruce

This "Lower Saucon Township" (whatever that is suppose to mean or cover) I looked it up in Google Earth which pointed me to a area well south of that Lehigh River which runs thru Bethlehem PA. That didn't narrow down the area much.
I now see in the police report mention of this village "Steel City" and the derailment location east of that.

I guess there aren't many/any railfans in or around Bethlehem; a serious "rear ended" with a 3rd train involved and no local reports, not even in the PA sub-forum??

If you look at the right side of the pic, to the left of that large green area, there is a scrap yard conventionally located. :wink:

Last edited by videobruce on Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1639921  by videobruce

Here are the most recent updates today.

From the AP;
https://www.kltv.com/2024/03/03/three-t ... -reported/
Note the 1st pic that shows a highway thru the trees with fire trucks . Also the last pic with those two engines down the embankment. At least one of those black tank cars had a hazmat placard.

From a local paper;
https://www.lehighvalleynews.com/bethle ... lment-site
"Riverside Drive will remain closed east of Steel City while the wreckage is cleared"

Updated location guess, based on the above (one person interviewed stated he heard it. There are homes to the far left of this pic);

Anyone know what trains were involved?
 #1639935  by videobruce

Missed that below the quote. :(
The 24x, is that a extra train, I don't know the confusing NS numbering system?
 #1639943  by jonnhrr

I thought PTC was supposed to make collisions like this impossible
 #1639962  by videobruce

jonnhrr wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:54 pm I thought PTC was supposed to make collisions like this impossible
Typical capitalist lie! Wait until they get their one man crew.

Nice video, where is the other unit(s)? Weren't there three down the embankment? Of course if there were "Steam Cranes" still in use (w/o the steam), two would of done the job of those 6 or 7 'tow trucks'. :wink:
 #1639994  by ExCon90

jonnhrr wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:54 pm I thought PTC was supposed to make collisions like this impossible
Once the first 2 trains collided --for whatever reason -- and fouled the adjacent track, PTC could not have prevented the sideswipe of the wreckage if the 3rd train had come along soon enough afterward. PTC can't do the impossible; the Titanic was called unsinkable by people who didn't know any better, but it sank anyway.
 #1639996  by ExCon90

videobruce wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:21 am
Typical capitalist lie! Wait until they get their one man crew.

Unless there was some unusual circumstance, there should have been two people in the cab of all three trains. A five-man crew couldn't have saved that third train.