Railroad Forums 

• Trackside bars in NY state?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1246385  by sd80mac

MC6853 wrote:
charlie6017 wrote:MacGregor's (former NYC station) at 607 Coldwater Rd in Gates is now closed.....bummer!

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... y=obinsite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charlie
According to a friend of mine who used to work there, MacGregor's on Coldwater Road was forced to shut down after they failed to ask an underage drink-purchaser for his ID... Apparently wasn't the first time in recent times that this happened, too...
my understanding is that it has been opened again, sometime in Dec or Nov...
 #1246394  by charlie6017

sd80mac wrote:my understanding is that it has been opened again, sometime in Dec or Nov...
You're right! I see on their website (http://www.macgregorsgrillandtaproom.net/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that Coldwater Rd.
location is indeed open. Thanks for the heads-up! ;-)

Charlie
 #1451011  by BR&P

Yesterday I had to go to Waverly to pick up an amp. Decided to grab lunch before we started back and went to The Railhouse, 366 Broad Street. Nice place, clean, the tracks are just outside the back door. Wife had chicken/bacon quesadillas, I had a bleu cheeseburger, both excellent. Not heavy on railroad decor but they do have some large photos mounted on the walls of the dining room. I meant to check out the bar half, but forgot to do so until after we left. Bathrooms were clean, service was good and cheerful. We would go back. So if you're out chasing and you have time for a more leisurely meal than grababurgerandgo, keep this in mind.

Oh yeah - while we were there, no rail activity. We got back on I-86, headed west and maybe 5 miles or so west of there the NS goes under the highway. Yup - an eastbound was passing under us! Missed it by THAT much! Image
 #1463546  by 1Loran

charlie6017 wrote:
sd80mac wrote:my understanding is that it has been opened again, sometime in Dec or Nov...
You're right! I see on their website (http://www.macgregorsgrillandtaproom.net/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that Coldwater Rd.

Charlie
The Mrs. and I went by a couple month ago, sadly MacGregor's on Coldwater Road is closed again.
 #1463547  by 1Loran

lakeshoredave wrote:Shoutout to Wanakah Grille off Pleasant Ave in Hamburg next to CSX and NS.
Great burgers and Fish Fry on Friday. Spirited bar crowd!

Re:

#1463548  by 1Loran

TB Diamond wrote:No longer partake in the finer beverages, but at the risk of being outside the subject confines of this thread here are a few old watering holes that used to be extant:

In addition, there was a bar in East Syracuse, name long ago forgotten, just west of the East Syracuse Amtrak station that sat right alongside the yard.
I believe it was Doug's I-290. Killed lots of brain cells there as a college kid in the 80's

Re:

#1463549  by 1Loran

[quote="SST"]In Buffalo, Billy Ogdens on William St. Sits at the entrance/exit on the west side of the Bison yard. Billy's is closed.

There is a Greek restaurant on Walden Ave in Depew. It sits almost opposite of Amtrak. I think the name of it is Skaro's. It is now the Campfire Grille, excellent food.
 #1463555  by sd80mac

1Loran wrote:
charlie6017 wrote:

Charlie
The Mrs. and I went by a couple month ago, sadly MacGregor's on Coldwater Road is closed again.

not really. they relocated to formerly Quaker steak and lube location on Buffalo road.
 #1463599  by SST

On my way to NYC and returned, isn't there a place just east of Dewitt on the north side of the tracks? If so, its an incredible view.

Google map and street view confirm the above......Trappers II Pizza Right across the street from that massive steel walkway over the track.

http://www.trappers2pizza.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1463602  by SST

1Loran wrote:
SST wrote:In Buffalo, Billy Ogdens on William St. Sits at the entrance/exit on the west side of the Bison yard. Billy's is closed.

There is a Greek restaurant on Walden Ave in Depew. It sits almost opposite of Amtrak. I think the name of it is Skaro's. It is now the Campfire Grille, excellent food.
I had noticed that it was opened under the new name awhile ago. They have weird hours. Last month my friend and I showed up for dinner and they were closed. If you go there, check the hours before. Location is good if you get the booth at the windows.
 #1464414  by jbeckley68

The "Roundhouse" was a bar just south of mainline/old East Syracuse engine terminals.

I was too young to confirm, but folks tell me that they had drink specials if the all the mainline tracks were occupied at once in front of the bar?

(That must have happened quite a bit with the traffic around here back in the day...
 #1464582  by Matt Langworthy

I have been known to enjoy a drink at MicGinny's on occasion. It is on East River Rd in Brighton next to CSX's West Shore Sub and the LA&L. The menu is pretty decent for a bar, too. I'm not a Steelers fan so I don't know much about it, but MicGinny's is apparently a Steelers fan club.
 #1465634  by sd80mac

jbeckley68 wrote:The "Roundhouse" was a bar just south of mainline/old East Syracuse engine terminals.

I was too young to confirm, but folks tell me that they had drink specials if the all the mainline tracks were occupied at once in front of the bar?

(That must have happened quite a bit with the traffic around here back in the day...
Conrail days, sure!!!
 #1639369  by SST

One restaurant closes and another opens. As I was on Broadway along side the Frontier Yard I looked and noticed a long closed restaurant is now open. Basically it’s at Broadway and Harlem Rd pass over. Right across the street from the abandoned humps. Patio will have an excellent view of most of the yard.
IMG_1302.jpeg
IMG_1302.jpeg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 244 times
Restaurant name: https://banglawok.com/