Railroad Forums 

• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1632582  by ut-1

Utica Notes: Big Surprise! On Oct 18th, I observed Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern 2042 working the branch together with 3040! It's since been on a number of trains and may still be on the branch although I didn't see it when I drove past the yard yesterday. A bumping post has been installed on the Utica siding on which a juvenile released the brakes of a covered hopper back in July 2015--the hopper rolled all the way down to Union Station causing substantial damage This could mean the Susquehanna will once again be storing cars here. Track work is occurring at Loomis Rd approx 3 miles south of the Sangerfield feed mills. Unsure if this means part of the line south of Sangerfield will be reopened.

Here's a video showing 2042 working the branch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj_RKAK3ayI&t=6s

This video features glances of 3040 on Nov 2nd in Utica, Clayville, Cassville & Paris Station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fJy7CPPtfA
Attachments:
WTH 08 Copy.PNG
WTH 08 Copy.PNG (650.83 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
IMG_0049.jpg
IMG_0049.jpg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 2306 times
Loomis 1A.jpg
Loomis 1A.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 2306 times
 #1633732  by ut-1

Utica Notes: A new building is being erected in the Utica yard. It will shelter the inspection pit. Also, grading has occurred for a new access road off Water Street. Traffic levels remain constant. The industrials see action everyday M-F and runs to Sangerfield occur at least twice per week. New Hartford's Oneida Warehouse is by far the biggest Utica-area customer receiving as many as 5 boxcars per switch job.

This video includes a look at Nov 20th's Utica local with views in the yard, on Schuyler Street and along Utica's Arterial (NYS Routes 5, 8 & 12) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOjLRMtCNVE

Credit Drone Photo: Nick Viscosi
Attachments:
Nick Viscosi Pic.PNG
Nick Viscosi Pic.PNG (715.29 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
Bldg 01.jpg
Bldg 01.jpg (974.55 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
Morning 2A.JPG
Morning 2A.JPG (77.83 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
 #1637099  by ut-1

Utica Notes: The building featured in the last update has now been completed and it is housing the railroad's snowplow. The big news since my last post is that the first run up the branch since 2018 from Chenango Forks northward occurred on December 4th. A leased NS four-axle engine brought two empty hoppers 60 miles up to Sangerfield. The short train continued on its way to Utica on December 5th. The reason for this seemingly non-revenue move is unknown to me. Otherwise, operations remain unchanged with 2-3 runs to Sangerfield each week and daily activity on the Utica industrial lines, especially to Oneida Warehouse, New Hartford (formerly Mohawk Containers).

Here is a nighttime video from Schuyler Street made on Jan 18th featuring No. 3040 taking a twelve-car train back to the Utica yard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmdo90XWkrM&t=3s
Attachments:
Sunset 01 A.JPG
Sunset 01 A.JPG (72.12 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
Sunset 02.JPG
Sunset 02.JPG (53.35 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
 #1637935  by ut-1

Utica Notes: Monday, January 29th, brought a big surprise here as MA&N 2453 (ALCo C425) made an appearance on the branch to take over for 3040 (probably out for inspection/repairs). No. 2453 began service as Erie-Lackawanna 2453 and saw much service on the Utica line for that fallen flag. 2453 made two trips to Sangerfield during the week, one solo and one teamed up with 3040. It was still in the Utica yard Friday morning while 3040 was working on the Utica industrials.

Here's a video on the sharp-looking ALCo heading down Schuyler Street the morning of January 29th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBIF0bE339E
Attachments:
Stranger 03.JPG
Stranger 03.JPG (83.33 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
Stranger 02 A.JPG
Stranger 02 A.JPG (133.52 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
Visitor.jpg
Visitor.jpg (859.04 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
 #1638713  by Aledl

Hi all,
I am very interested in NYS&W operations. I have made a list of good places to catch trains and I have a general idea of the region, but I was wondering if anyone could help with train runnings….Do trains have some regularity? Is there a train schedule? I am particularly interested in the Syracuse - Binghamton line and the street running in Utica. Depending on what I may find, I could make my way up to NJ, so I could look for trains in Newfouland or across the Hansack River, for instance. I know NYS&W runs the SU-99 and S-100 and, apparently, they run daylight. But I am not sure how to plan mi visit. I mean, do trains run in a particular time range?

I am planning to railfan in NY and PA between March 20th and March 23rd. I may spend 4 days on this activity but it will depend on what I could arrange in this area and what I may find on my way from Chicago.

I would really appreciate any help on this.
Thank you very much in advance.

Best,
--
Alejandro