Railroad Forums 

• Door operations different level platforms

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1636044  by flexliner

For (mostly I guess) commuter rail cars that have availability to board both low and high level platforms

I presume that for highs the doors are trainlined including center doors (if there are in a car) and can be controlled from one conductor position

For lows these days are doors also trainlined? How does this work with traps?
IIRC years ago most traps were manually operated and probably needed crew at several locations on the train

Also presume center doors where present are somehow cut out on lows.

Similar question for Angeles and other Amtk cars

Finally do western commuter trains that are low only also have trainlined doors?
 #1636049  by RandallW

For the single level Amtrak equipment I think it varies. I think Amfleet and Viewliner equipment can be trainlined high level platforms, but not low level platforms, and the Horizon equipment cannot be trainlined at all. It's entirely possible that some of the Amfleet and Viewliner equipment can't be trainlined open, but can be trainlined closed.

Gallery cars and GO-transit style Bombardier bilevel cars can be trainlined as can Superliners and California cars (it's possible that only Superliners modified for use in Amtrak California trains can be trainlined).

As for the complexities of the commuter equipment used in the NEC, I haven't any knowledge.
 #1636078  by STrRedWolf

If I remember Amfleet operations, you have a conductor per two coaches (with some minimums of course) and for high-level operations, said conductor can open two sets of doors by buttons. Viewliner sleepers would have one attendant that controlled the doors. Low-level platforms required lifting the trap door, limiting door access.

Superliners are all low-level and probably have one conductor/room attendant per car to open the doors properly.
 #1636082  by GWoodle

All this talk about doors depends on the stop.

For commuter lines just like subway cars 1 conductor opens all the doors each stop. Varies from LH to RH depending on the platform. Conductor will have to go thru train to collect tickets. May require 1 person per 3 cars.

For Amtrak have all doors open at endpoint. For the normal station stop may have 1 door for the sleepers then 1 door for coach. May require the train to make 2 stops. Conductor may verify ticket & help passengers find open seat.

Remember conductor is boss of the train. There is only 1 onboard. There may be assistants as needed.
 #1636840  by electricron

west point wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:59 am You have the complications of Amfleet-1s have doors at both ends of car and AM-2s only have one end with doors each side.
Amfleet 2s are used in long distance services where only one to two doors on the entire train are manually opened at station platforms by the conductor or assistant conductor.. They also manually operate the trap as needed as they open the door. No problem here.
 #1637145  by hanajijang

For low-level platforms, the situation can be more complex. In some cases, doors may still be trainlined, especially if the train is designed to operate on both high and low platforms regularly. However, there may be variations depending on the specific train design and the level of automation
 #1637390  by janeporterfield

As I know, Western commuter trains that are low only, such as Caltrain, Metrolink, or Coaster, usually have trainlined doors and traps on their cars, to accommodate both low-level and high-level platforms along their routes. Some of these trains also have center doors, which can be cut out on low-level platforms. Is it right?