Railroad Forums 

• Passenger "Trapped" in Chicago Yard After Falling Asleep

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1637164  by Jeff Smith

Wonder how often this happens: WGNTV.com
College student says she became trapped after falling asleep on Amtrak train
Aria Lockhart said she found herself trapped inside an empty train parked in the Amtrak yard after falling asleep on the ride to Chicago. Now, Lockhart’s family is speaking out over how Amtrak handled the incident.
“I boarded the train about 3 a.m. I got on, I asked for assigned seating they told me ‘no’ because there was so little passengers,” Lockhart said. “I fell asleep because it’s 3 o’clock in the morning, I was pretty tired.”
Lockhart’s mother, Victoria Jackson, said she called Amtrak customer services representatives but became flustered when they offered little help.
While they were eventually able to get Lockhart out of the rail yard, family members say they are disappointed over how the incident was handled.
 #1637207  by John_Perkowski

In Kansas City, in the 80s and early 90s, we had several children who were left on the school bus after it arrived at the fleet parking lot. IIRC, there was a life lost, there was more than one limb lost, and the liability lawsuits changed the was school districts and contract bus companies deal with end of run clearance.

Amtrak is fortunate the traveller did not lose life or limb.
 #1637213  by R36 Combine Coach

John_Perkowski wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:24 pm In Kansas City, in the 80s and early 90s, we had several children who were left on the school bus after it arrived at the fleet parking lot. IIRC, there was a life lost, there was more than one limb lost, and the liability lawsuits changed the was school districts and contract bus companies deal with end of run clearance.
Most school districts now have policies for drivers to check for children when they finish their runs.

On NYCT, there have been a few instances of subway passengers ending up in the yard.
 #1637237  by Gilbert B Norman

A similar incident happened to me TWICE this past August overseas.

At the S-Bahn Munich Airport, a train arrives on the track for trains to Munich East station, doors open, passengers leave, and I board without seeing the destination sign stating "Nicht (whatever)". I'm on the train with my 18lbs (8.2kg) of luggage, but where are the others? Doors close "hey this isn't right". So I push the "emergency" button. Doors open, and someone yelling "Ausfahrt". Better get off, and immediately the train leaves for the yard.

If that wasn't enough, in Nurenberg with a Day Pass to ride any public transit vehicle, I'm leaving the Trials museum intending to go back to the Hauptbahnhof and the Transport Museum (where the Hitler Supertrain mock ups are displayed), I get on the wrong train heading in the opposite direction. This time I'm more alert when everyone gets off. By now, I've looked at a map and note the "end of the line" in the correct direction. Aside from losing a half hour at the Museum, such ended without further incident.

So, even though, I can't sleep on anything that moves, save a "wink or two" on either an Amtrak Sleeper or Business Class on an Eastward overseas flight, I can still empathize with this girl "Caught on a Train".
 #1637258  by eolesen

Something similar happened to one of my co-workers who was too wrapped up in her laptop on the last train of the night heading to Crystal Lake. Conductors helped her off in the storage yard where her husband had to come find her.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk