Railroad Forums 

• Saga of today's train 40 extra long journey Toronto to Ottawa

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#1631285  by Ken W2KB

A friend of mine on the train had this description:
UPDATE 11: The sandwiches, which arrived at 4:30, were small, soggy Tim Hortons ham rolls. And they keep reminding us we can save $50 on our next trip, as long as it happens soon.
UPDATE 10: We've just left Kingston. Bizarre announcement: "Welcome aboard, passengers of Train 40 and Train 42! Train 40 will be stopping at list of three stops. Train 42 will be stopping at list of six or seven stops."
THE TRAINS ARE ATTACHED TO EACH OTHER.
Our current ETA is 6:30 p.m. No sign of the promised sandwiches.
UPDATE 9: It has just announced that we'll hit Ottawa at about 6:00. We were originally due in at 2:55. 6:00 is at least an hour late even for Train 42, and it's over three hours late for us.
Those sandwiches had been be amazing.
UPDATE 8: And now we're moving again, circa 2:35.
It appears the lady who told us about the speed-demon engineers may have misunderstood or had problems with English (she's Quebecoise). A friend on the train overheard someone say the engineers had reached the end of their allowable work hours and stopped working. The question is why they were allowed to start the journey at all.
UPDATE 7: It is 2:25 p.m., 2.5 hours after we stopped, and WE HAVE STARTED MO--oh, wait, no, we've stopped again.
UPDATE 6: I can feel the train moving slightly. I think the coupling may be happening. Will we finally escape from Cobourg? That remains to be seen.
UPDATE 5: They say we're eligible for a travel credit for 50% of our ticket price. It has to be used within the next six months. No sign of Train 42, by the way (it's 1:46).
UPDATE 4: Now they have handed out digestive biscuits and small packets of pretzels. By the time they reached our car, they were out of pretzels, so we got double digestives.
UPDATE 3: They're going to give us sandwiches in Kingston. It will, by that point, be halfway between lunch and dinner. *Helpless shrug*
UPDATE 2: They have handed out tiny bottles of water and banana-chocolate oat bars.
UPDATE: They can't find a crew. We're waiting for Train 42, which will attach to our train. Two-hour delay.
I dunno...I think I may be cursed. I'm on the train to Ottawa for Can*Con, and it left on time and everything, but then it hit Cobourg and just...stopped. Apparently, the train was speeding, so it can't continue until the engineers have been replaced. I have never seen anything like this happen before.