Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1624775  by Jeff Smith

https://abc7.com/amp/la-metro-east-san- ... /13430492/
METRO ADDING NEW LIGHT-RAIL LINE IN THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY
The East San Fernando Valley Light Rail Transit Project will kick off soon. It will feature a 6.7-mile line that will include 11 new stations connecting Van Nuys to Pacoima, better serving the communities of Panorama City and Arleta.

Metro's G Line (Orange Line) in Van Nuys will be connected to the Metrolink station in San Fernando.

San Fernando Valley Rep. Tony Cárdenas fought for federal funding, which is a big part of the $3.57 billion project. Cárdenas toured the future line by bus Monday.

"The northeast Valley isn't necessarily a destination point. We don't have a Disneyland. We don't have that kind of thing," Cárdenas said. "But what we do have is a lot of hard working people who come to and from this place, who come to sleep at night and get up really early in the morning, and do the hard work that everyone wants to see happen."
 #1624801  by HenryAlan

The G-Line needs to be converted to rail. I don't understand why that isn't on a short term list of projects. It would be inexpensive to do, and the capacity boost is desperately needed. It will only become more of an issue once the Valley Light Rail project is completed.
 #1624851  by lensovet

HenryAlan wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:44 pm The G-Line needs to be converted to rail. I don't understand why that isn't on a short term list of projects. It would be inexpensive to do, and the capacity boost is desperately needed. It will only become more of an issue once the Valley Light Rail project is completed.
I'm a big rail proponent, but I'm not sure on what planet a capacity boost is needed. The line's ridership peaked in 2013 and has been on a continued downward spiral since. 2022 ridership was lower than that of 2009 despite having more stations and better service.