Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1624743  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I remember that there was overhead catenary above the PATH tracks in two segments:
1-West of Journal Square Station to a point someplace west of the Hackensack River Bridge - this wire ended
by being wrapped around an overhead catenary pole...I knew that this wire segment was NOT in use - I recall
that there were unrelated utility wires crossing BELOW this catenary in spots...
2-From the Amtrak/NJT flyover bridge vicinity or Hudson Tower west towards Harrison - As OPR notes this is
most likely live in-service wire that is used to feed power over adjacent tracks...

There are photos showing wire over H&M/PATH outdoor tracks - See NYC Subway's H&M/PATH photos:
https://nycsubway.org/wiki/PATH_Port_Au ... ans-Hudson
Scroll down to the bottom of the page showing "Photos By Location" - Newark Penn Station to East of
Journal Square - the 1960s (or before) pictures of the H&M and early PATH in particular...

Unfortunately the RFW front or rear-end view on PATH ended with the PA-5 car fleet - thankfully there is
past video showing the route between JSQ and NWK out there...MACTRAXX