Railroad Forums 

• Nancy Hanks III?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1624472  by Jeff Smith

I doubt it; I don’t think the market is there for the frequency they’d want. Additionally I think there are better markets for them. Their focus now is on Tampa and Vegas. Maybe Texas after that.
 #1624475  by Bob Roberts

west point wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:56 pm There is too much emphasis on end point to end point. What about the peron who has an unreliable car that needs to go Madison - Dalton?
Indeed. A significant element of NCDOT’s willingness to bankroll intra-state service on the Piedmont is the political support provided by the intermediate stops. This has even encouraged NCDOT to build new stations in the two unserved intermediate counties between Charlotte and Raleigh. Georgia’s population distribution means that getting political support from just a few intermediate places (plus Atlanta and Savannah and Macon) will make state funding practically bulletproof.

Back in NC, the new Piedmont frequency will begin in July, the new schedule will result in a couple of intermediate stops getting skipped on some trains (all intermediate stations will keep the same number of trains they have today). The political pushback on that choice has been surprising.
Last edited by Bob Roberts on Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1624476  by ryanwc

Is there interest in the Georgia legislature, on the majority side of the aisle, or is this mostly coming from Ossoff?
 #1624481  by Jeff Smith

Typically it’s from Atlanta area legislators. GDOT has expansive plans for commuter and intrastate rail, but widespread support has never materialized. The legislative leadership controls the agenda…
 #1624482  by Jeff Smith

I’d add that you probably need to add Columbus and Valdosta to the mix to generate that support. In the context of this though it’s all about Chattanooga, Nashville, and Memphis.
 #1624547  by west point

ATL <> Columbus? The old C of GA Man of War train route. The population growth thru Newnan where it split off the CSX ( A&WP) trackage has been explosive. However, ATL - CSG would be better served if LaGrange GA would be better split to COG. What could make COG an even more important destination would have train extended about 8 miles into the Ft Benning ( now ft Moore ) property with a station built on present track. Alternatively restore about 4 miles into heart of the Fort and build a station.

Trains to ATL and back would help personnel to commute into Fort and connect in ATL to national Amtrak network. Expansion has overwhelmed base housing.

This route to COG compares very favorably to total population of ATL - SAV.
 #1624552  by Traingeek3629

Bob Roberts wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:23 am
west point wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:56 pm There is too much emphasis on end point to end point. What about the peron who has an unreliable car that needs to go Madison - Dalton?
Back in NC, the new Piedmont frequency will begin in July, the new schedule will result in a couple of intermediate stops getting skipped on some trains (all intermediate stations will keep the same number of trains they have today). The political pushback on that choice has been surprising.
I can see why there'd be pushback for that. The two trains that skip multiple stops arrive in Charlotte at 9:28 AM, and depart it at 5:30 PM. Not sure why they chose to do that, actually. I know little about the Piedmont, though.
 #1624563  by RandallW

I think the thinking here was that these are not commuter services, and are more likely to be used to allow people to travel from Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham, or Cary (the five largest cities on the route and 5 of the 7 largest cities in the state) to other destinations for a few hours and not vice-versa, but that these two trips allow one to take a day trip from Raleigh to Charlotte "in under 3 hours". Given where the current Charlotte station is, it is not a useful "commuter" route.

I said travel from larger city to smaller cities because I'm under the impression that populations who choose to be carless are more likely to live in the larger cities than the smaller cities (even post pandemic, cyclability, public transportation, and services like Uber and Lyft are much better in larger cities than smaller cities). Note that I am deliberately picking on choice here, as (again) I am under the impression those same populations are also more likely to travel than populations that are carless due to poverty.
 #1624593  by electricron

I believe the most important reason why the North Carolina legislature supports the Piedmont as much as it does is because they actually own the NCRR stocks and over 90% of the railroad corridor. Piedmont passenger trains are subsidized mostly by the NCRR whose freight trains operate with sufficient profits to pay off any Piedmont operating loses. And most improvements made to the rail corridor supports both the freight and passenger services. The rolling stock used was bought and refurbished as cheaply as possible. Future Venture coaches were highly subsidized by the FRA (Feds). As long as Piedmont trains operations have minimum impacts to the state government’s budget, it will continue to see financial support.
 #1624700  by charlesriverbranch

electricron wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:57 pm I believe the most important reason why the North Carolina legislature supports the Piedmont as much as it does is because they actually own the NCRR stocks and over 90% of the railroad corridor.
The state of Georgia owns the former Western and Atlantic from Atlanta to Chattanooga, if I'm not mistaken.
 #1624706  by Gilbert B Norman

Off topic but still related.

Reviewing the Wiki article on the W&A, I never knew that the Great Locomotive Chase, or the Andrew's Raid, went Northward, rather than South. I'm hardly a Civil War buff in this life, but I guess I had such confused with the March to the Sea, which, obviously, was Southward.

The Chase started ar Kennesaw, some 10 miles North of Atlanta, and ended at Ringgold, GA, on the GA-TN border.
 #1624820  by Greg Moore

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:43 am Off topic but still related.

Reviewing the Wiki article on the W&A, I never knew that the Great Locomotive Chase, or the Andrew's Raid, went Northward, rather than South. I'm hardly a Civil War buff in this life, but I guess I had such confused with the March to the Sea, which, obviously, was Southward.

The Chase started ar Kennesaw, some 10 miles North of Atlanta, and ended at Ringgold, GA, on the GA-TN border.
Several years ago, on my way back from Walker County back to the Atlanta Amtrak station, I stopped at the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History and saw the General of the Great Locomotive Chase fame and a documentary about the race. Quite fascinating actually.

Would be a good place for an Amtrak station...