Railroad Forums 

• Heritage Diner Disposal

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1399862  by ApproachMedium

David Benton wrote:If Amtrak wasn't so adverse to Mid trip switching , the shortage could be alleviated by switching the Diner in/out enroute. This would save at least one diner per route. For e.g the LSL diner is switched out at Buffalo( from NYP), returns on the next mornings train to NYP. The only dining meal missed out on is one breakfast into Chicago.
That would require a crew in buffalo and an engine to remove the diner, set it out, mechanical to inspect it. Waste of money. And then when they go to add the car back in the car needs an air slip and the train will need another brake test to be sent on its way. So now thats more delays enroute or possible points of failure. Its more cost effective to just do it the way it is.

Now what happens if a diner is shopped in buffalo? DH it to NY? Albany? Chicago? Where will the replacement come from?
 #1399868  by Backshophoss

The nearest Mech is the contract crew at Niagara Falls,that can only do basic running repairs,Amtrak's unions would not be happy of about a remote control switcher,you need a ground power plug in to keep the fridges and freezers working, along with a ground air compressor for the air brakes,and a contract food supplier to replace spoiled supplies
A robot switcher,NOT EVEN a bright idea,the current remote controlled switchers are NOT that reliable! :P
AM is right,it's better to run the diner to Chicago.
 #1617671  by Jeff Smith

BUMP....

Just wondering if there have been any further dispositions of Heritage Diners, i.e. have they been sold, etc.

This was the last I could find, back in 2018.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... -donation/
 #1617820  by hi55us

At least one has been preserved and shipped to the Northern Pacific Railway Museum up here in Toppenish, WA, although they didn't really have it on display last time I visited.
 #1617985  by John_Perkowski

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:47 pm I believe you will find one of the '58 vintage NP Budds in Uncle Warren's Execufleet.
Considering NP—->BN—->BNSF, that makes sense. I don’t remember it at the business car tracks at Murray Yard, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. BN had a healthy executive fleet before merger.