Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1616001  by Jeff Smith

More: https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/f ... erailment/
NEW CANAAN, Conn. (WTNH) — Train service from the New Canaan Elm Street Station is suspended Tuesday morning after a train derailed.

One person was injured during the derailment, officials said, though the status of their injuries is unknown at this time.

According to the New Canaan Fire Department, there is regular service running from Talmage Hill in Stamford and GTC. Additionally, the MTA is working on a bus service from New Canaan.
 #1616082  by NIMBYkiller

I remember this happening twice in Port Washington. One time was an overgreased switch leading to track 2 sent the train sliding right thru the fence and crushing the entire bike rack upon brake application. The other time supposedly a pigeon smacked into the windshield as it was approaching the bumper block on track 5 and startled the engineer. Should be interesting to find out what happened here
 #1616108  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - This incident can be best described as a slow-speed collision - when I saw the word "crash" used
I automatically thought of something far more serious then what actually did happen at New Canaan Station...
https://connecticut.news12.com/metro-no ... in-station

The bumper block stood its ground well along with some chewed-up ties keeping M8 MU 9436 from going
into the street(s) at the intersection of Park and Elm Streets with only the front truck derailed - and from
the picture only a small section of track, a wood fence and some brick work were involved at the site...
Google Streetview Adress: 90-88 Park St., New Canaan, CT 06840

Jared - Since you mentioned the LIRR a significant bumper block accident occurred in Montauk at the
end of track next to the station building back in the 1980s - two 2900 series P72 cars were pushed out
on to the concrete pavement of Edgemere Avenue - the flange marks are still visible to this day...
MACTRAXX