Railroad Forums 

• VRE will NOT raise fares next year!

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1611885  by davinp

Good news for VRE riders. VRE does not plan to raise fares next year. The last time they raised fares was before the pandemic. I know MARC raised fares this year and it looks like WMATA will raise fares next year.

Despite the slower than expected return of ridership following the COVID-19 pandemic, the recommended budget is balanced, with no funding gap, and with all projected uses of funding in FY 2024 supported by reasonably
expected sources of funding. The FY 2024 budget includes no changes to passenger fares as compared to FY 2023 and a total jurisdictional subsidy contribution of $18.3 million

https://www.vre.org/about/board/board-a ... udget-pdf/
 #1611887  by eolesen

Good to see that they're balancing their budget to stay within their means. Other agencies don't show that type of restraint.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1611947  by STrRedWolf

davinp wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:14 pm Good news for VRE riders. VRE does not plan to raise fares next year. The last time they raised fares was before the pandemic. I know MARC raised fares this year and it looks like WMATA will raise fares next year.
Yeah, MARC was required by law to raise the fares. It was a bit outrageous at the time, but now in hindsight may of saved MTA Maryland as a whole.