Railroad Forums 

• ,Was this a printer's error or an actual RR?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1598856  by udoittwo

Hello,
I may have asked this before but I don't see any evidence and I sometimes forget. I have had people say that it is probably just a printer's error but none have said there definitely was no such RR. It's not uncommon for paper RRs or pop-up RRs to not be listed in that state's defunct RR list.
I know it's probably an error and if that's an opinion, then no need to respond but if there is any evidence that it was a real RR, please let me know and give me any information that you might have.
Thanks and
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Karl.
DSCN4741.JPG
DSCN4741.JPG (241.11 KiB) Viewed 913 times
 #1598885  by Ken W2KB

udoittwo wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:07 am Hello,
I may have asked this before but I don't see any evidence and I sometimes forget. I have had people say that it is probably just a printer's error but none have said there definitely was no such RR. It's not uncommon for paper RRs or pop-up RRs to not be listed in that state's defunct RR list.
I know it's probably an error and if that's an opinion, then no need to respond but if there is any evidence that it was a real RR, please let me know and give me any information that you might have.
Thanks and
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Karl.DSCN4741.JPG
Report on surveys for the extension of the Hartford, Providence and Fishkill Railroad from Waterbury to Fishkill
Author: Samuel Nott; Samuel Ashburner
Publisher: Hartford [Conn.] : Press of Case, Tiffany and Co., 1853.
Edition/Format: eBook : Document : EnglishView all editions and formats
Rating:

(not yet rated) 0 with reviews - Be the first.
Subjects

Hartford, Providence, and Fishkill Railroad Company.
Railroads -- Connecticut -- Surveying.
Railroads -- Surveying.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/report-o ... /423612583
 #1599528  by 2nd trick op

The Hartford, Providence and Fishkill was one of any number of proposals for "new" railroads* centered upon the as-yet-unbuilt Poughkeepsie Bridge in the last two decades of the Nineteenth Century. Everyone knew the potential for huge volumes of traffic, primarily anthracite coal from Pennsylvania, was there, but the possibilities of both ruinous competition and interference by populist sentiments seeking regulation kept potential investors away.

At its inception, the Poughkeepsie Bridge Company was not linked to any specific railroad; it was the creation of William W, Gibbs, a Philadelphia (gas)-utility executive, who promoted it as an "infrastructural improvement" (not the term used in those days) to supply New England with coal and indirectly. with coal gas.

Eventually, after much wrangling, the Poughkeepsie Bridge was completed in 1889, and the various smaller railroads, not all of which were actually built, found their way into the New Haven system. By 1930, the coming of urbanization and all-weather highways, the passing of the Age of Coal, and the inability of New England to generate outbound freight all translated into hard times for the New Haven. By the late Sixties, traffic was down to two freights daily in each direction -- hauling the low-paying freight no one else wanted.

In 1974, a fire of dubious origin weakened the structure of the Poughkeepsie Bridge, leaving no option other than its conversion to a pedestrian walkway and tourist attraction. It seems a little ironic that discussion about a system designed exclusively around freight should find its way to a forum devoted to passenger operations.