Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1594068  by GirlOnTheTrain

Craig Cipriano goes to Chief Operating Officer, Pat Warren who is interim COO goes back to Chief Safety Officer.

Davey used to run the MBTA and was the State Transportation Secretary for MA.

https://abc7ny.com/richard-davey-new-yo ... BWQ4-5NZcg
 #1594235  by Allan

He'll never survive the internal political structure of the MTA.

He'll want to do things and they won't let him.

Andy Byford was doing a fair job and he made the mistake of making himself look good at the expense of the Governor's office. He had to go because you are supposed to make your boss look good while making yourself look efficient.
 #1594363  by GirlOnTheTrain

ExCon90 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:40 pm Maybe with a new governor things might be different? Not all egos are created equal ...
Exactly. Hochul isn't Cuomo 3.0 - I say 3.0 since Mario was a thorn in TA's side when he was governor as well.
 #1594467  by STrRedWolf

GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:45 pm To be fair, he hasn't been in charge of the T since early last decade.
True, but I'm looking back to their commuter rail debacle that came to a head in 2011 when they leased former MARC equipment to help tide them over until they got new equipment. They shouldn't of gotten there in the first place.
 #1594489  by Red Wing

Unfortunately when you use a contractor to run your commuter rail you get what you pay for. With that being said how much of it is Davey's fault? I get that he was in charge of everything. With that said I don't remember if it was MBCR or Keolis running the system at that time.
 #1594504  by STrRedWolf

Red Wing wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:26 pm Unfortunately when you use a contractor to run your commuter rail you get what you pay for. With that being said how much of it is Davey's fault? I get that he was in charge of everything. With that said I don't remember if it was MBCR or Keolis running the system at that time.
MBCR (aka Connex/Veola, Bombardier, and Alternate Concepts Inc) up until July 2014, when Kelois took over.

Still, even if it was a contractor, you had oversight into operations. And since Davey was head of MBTA, it ultimately his responsibility.
 #1595530  by BandA

Davey is a lawyer by training. He joined MBCR, the contractor the MBTA was using to run the Commuter Rail system, became chief counsel, then head of MBCR. He became head of the MBTA after Deval Patrick got rid of (the well regarded at the time) Dan Grabauskas. Davey then became MassDOT secretary. I would infer from this that Davey is well connected in democratic circles.
 #1595532  by BandA

Davey left MassDOT Nov 1, 2014, just before the election which Republican Baker won. The MBTA had a total meltdown about the beginning of January 2015 with a new governor, a new MassDOT secretary and Beverly Scott in charge of the MBTA, and a new operator of the Commuter Rail system Keolis in place for only six months, and had yet to hire a chief engineer after MBTA employees tampered with their hiring process. Nothing specific points to Davey being responsible for the crisis except for years of deferred maintenance, broken track heaters, lack of snow fighting equipment, and the hiring & supervision of his MBTA replacement Beverly Scott. Davey probably would have been involved with the selection of Keolis over his former employer MBCR.