Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1593140  by jhdeasy

I understand that Amtrak will operate a special train of private cars from WAS to MIA, to move the cars participating in AAPRCO’s 2022 Sugarland Limited special train in Florida. The cars must arrive MIA by April 22 , so that suggests the Amtrak special will depart from WAS on April 21.

I don’t know if Amtrak will operate a northbound special train from MIA to WAS after the AAPRCO special returns to MIA on April 27.
 #1593823  by John_Perkowski

The two ex UP cars of Patrick Henry Creatice Promotions are once again on the house track of KANSAS City Union Station.
 #1595035  by John_Perkowski

Does anyone know if Patrick Henry bought PV BERLIN? It’s sitting on Track 27 (aka House Track 1) at Kansas City Union Station between his dome and his Pullman. I must admit, it’s nice to see 3 ex UP cars together.
 #1595159  by jhdeasy

John_Perkowski wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:30 am Does anyone know if Patrick Henry bought PV BERLIN? It’s sitting on Track 27 (aka House Track 1) at Kansas City Union Station between his dome and his Pullman. I must admit, it’s nice to see 3 ex UP cars together.
To the best of my knowledge, BERLIN is still owned by Dr. Kevin Moore. Patrick Henry leased the BERLIN to supplement the capacity of his two cars for some charter trips. BERLIN will stay there at Kansas City Union Station, until its next trip. I believe BERLIN is signed up for the AAPRCO Sugar special in Florida later this month. Some car owners will lose big $ on that AAPRCO trip, as they were unable to find sufficient revenue passengers to cover their costs. The mileage is rare, the scenery is blah, and the costs are very high.
 #1595164  by JimBoylan

jhdeasy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:17 pmI believe BERLIN is signed up for the AAPRCO Sugar special in Florida later this month. Some car owners will lose big $ on that AAPRCO trip, as they were unable to find sufficient revenue passengers to cover their costs. The mileage is rare, the scenery is blah, and the costs are very high.
John, can you disclose to us any owners that might be willing to allow paying passengers in their cars on this Florida trip?
 #1595242  by jhdeasy

JimBoylan wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:23 pm John, I mean allowing revenue passengers that are not already fellow members of the American Association of Private Railroad Car Owners, Inc.
This is an AAPRCO sponsored special train, so passengers must be members of AAPRCO. I believe associate membership (for those who are not car owners) dues are $90 per year. Check www.AAPRCO.com for details.

I believe BERLIN has space available.
 #1596652  by nomis

Today's Silver Star 92(28) has the following departing Miami behind the locomotives:
PRR 7503 Frank L Suter
NYC 3 Portland
 #1596787  by jhdeasy

CARITAS and CIMARRON RIVER will travel on train 92(30) from MIA to WAS.

I expect they will travel from WAS to CHI on train 29, but they could wait for train 51(03). Depends on how tightly Amtrak enforces their WAS parking and switching restrictions.
Last edited by jhdeasy on Sun May 01, 2022 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1596790  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Deasy, the more I learn how wealthy and politically connected these PV owners are, the less the chance of Amtrak being rid of the LD's.

No different than how the Fairfield Navy has restricted how many trains Amtrak can operate over the movable bridges in CT.