• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

Glad to hear she survived regardless of what happened. I’d imagine being dragged underneath a train is not something most people simply walk away from.
  by CharlieL

RailsEast, Rustyrail, thank you. I wondered about the NTSB because it was reported SA-31 did not have it's normal crew today.
  by Bracdude181

Approaching Downtown Farmingdale 7:19 PM
  by Bracdude181

Approaching Maxim Southard Rd 7:37 PM at track speed, possibly faster.

Silver sedan ran the lights at Old Tavern and immediately got pulled over for it. That was a very satisfying sight!
  by Bracdude181

At County Line Rd 7:59 PM
  by Bracdude181

Looks like a new gated crossing is going to replace the ungated setup at James Street within the coming weeks.
  by Bracdude181

Drunk driver nearly ran over the conductor when he flagged the road down at Cross Street. Conductor dived out of the way, no injuries. Didn’t catch the conductor diving on video but did film the truck running away. I’ll try to have that uploaded tomorrow.
  by Bracdude181

No SA38 tonight. Might go back Sunday.
  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:09 pm Drunk driver nearly ran over the conductor when he flagged the road down at Cross Street. Conductor dived out of the way, no injuries. Didn’t catch the conductor diving on video but did film the truck running away. I’ll try to have that uploaded tomorrow.
Just another Friday night on the Jersey Shore. I'm surprised (but very grateful) that doesn't happen a lot - especially in the summer months. Hopefully you can get the truck's license plate and forward it to the police.
  by Bracdude181

@JohnFromJersey A truck nearly running over the conductor? That was a first for me, and my friend who has been watching the trains roll down these tracks for 30 years now. Never seen anything like it, and I am kinda shocked that it doesn’t happen often.

Should you ever come to Cross Street one night when things are normal it is complete and utter pandemonium even without the train crossing the road. The takeaway from last night is that the railroad crossing and adjacent intersection need major safety upgrades. The railroad crossing has not worked in at least 6 months.
  by Bracdude181

I was unable to put the video from the SD Card onto Google Photos directly so I had to play back the clip on my tablet and record it with my phone, so please excuse the guerilla-style videography.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dm2RKWbH7oigM3TJ9

Wish I had panned the camera over to see the conductor jump out of the way but I unfortunately I was more focused on the engine. You can see the traffic behind the pickup slow down but not the truck. Opposing traffic had already stopped before I began recording.
  by Bracdude181

Train is parked at Woodhaven. No crew in sight.

6210 has a considerable oil leak in between the rear truck and fuel tank. The oil is coming from a hose which appears to be disconnected from its mounting…
  by trainfann101

Bracdude181 wrote:Train is parked at Woodhaven. No crew in sight.

6210 has a considerable oil leak in between the rear truck and fuel tank. The oil is coming from a hose which appears to be disconnected from its mounting…
You should be a mechanic . . .
  by Bracdude181

I did take a vocational class. Maybe I should be a mechanic lol.
  by GSC

Watching the video, a lone conductor in the dark trying to control road traffic, no crossing lights in operation, and a side view of a dark locomotive (headlights and horn, yes) just might escape the mind of someone not paying attention, which all too many motorists are guilty of.

Looks like evidence that the crossing protection needs to be repaired. People run working lights all too often as it is (check at Asbury Road some night) so I think this should convince Conrail or whoever handles this, to fix the lights. It isn't going to get any better.

Until that happens, maybe ask the local police to help and block the crossing. Those flashbulb blues and reds are hard to ignore.