Railroad Forums 

• Reno trench signal mystery

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#1589220  by lstone19

I'm currently in Reno. In the UP trench through downtown Reno, there are westbound signals on both tracks just west of West St. These are two head signals with the bottom heads turned to the side. But the top heads are dark at all times, even with a train straddling the signals (seen them numerous times since arriving three days ago). WB trains appear to me moving past them at restricted speed (not sure what the speed limit is - I haven't been in Reno since the trench was built but I know prior to it being built, it was 20mph through downtown). Anyone know why they're dark? It could be a temporary problem but if so, surprised it would go multiple days.
 #1589222  by eolesen

My guess is that they haven't been cut in yet. It's standard for UPRR to install and turn signals on a 90 degree away from the track prior to them entering service.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1589229  by lstone19

But it’s only the bottom heads that are turned away. If the entire signal wasn’t in service, I’d expect both heads to be turned away.
 #1589230  by eolesen

Yup, only the top head being turned does stand out as odd.

If trains are rolling by the dark head at restricted speed, that's consistent with their rulebook.