Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1575033  by lensovet

rohr turbo wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:03 pm You'd prefer grade level? Diesel smoke, horns, suicides, traffic backups? Or a Berlin-wall-style berm?
what are we even talking about anymore?

the nimbys in Atherton want the tracks to be buried below the ground, and there won't be any diesel smoke on any of these corridors in another decade.
 #1575038  by kitchin

lensovet wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:59 am the nimbys in Atherton want the tracks to be buried below the ground, and there won't be any diesel smoke on any of these corridors in another decade.
Yep, having delivered pizzas in Palo Alto, and briefly lived in East P.A., long ago, I can say with whatever expertise that the tracks are considered a fact of life in the South Bay. If they'd originally been built closer to the 101 freeway, along the Bay, rather than inland towards El Camino Real, it might be possible today to imagine an elevated structure, opening up waterfront vistas with parkland underneath. But the immense size of the 101 would forgo even that possibility.

The tracks are through residential and commercial areas that are highly resistant to change and every square meter is valuable land.
 #1575254  by rohr turbo

LOL, Lensovet thinks a viaduct is impractical but he will float the tunnel idea!?!

@kitchin A viaduct along 280 would indeed be a beautiful ride, but it would miss all the Peninsula population and work centers whose riders will justify such an expense. A viaduct over 101 would be more practical and may be the easiest to construct. And if freight is routed over a rebuilt Dumbarton (as was the point of my first post) then you benefit with a lighter, steeper, cheaper viaduct whereever it is built.
 #1575393  by lensovet

Neither idea is practical. The viaduct was floated as a way to placate nimbys, which it won’t do. A tunnel is what they want, and anything else is just a waste of time and money. The tunnel, too, is a waste of time and money.

I am not “floating” anything myself.