• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CharlieL

Tanker1497 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:46 am Sitting across from Free way warehouse. On the South East side of Southward Ave. It appears about 30 or more sections of rail has been dropped off different lengths. This is used track that was removed from some where. It has holes in the ends for lifting/pulling.
As of 8AM this morning, those rails are gone. I know they were there Saturday. Must have been pulled from the southern connection, or the siding that used to serve Rokeach back in the day.
  by Tanker1497

That is correct I later said I was split 50/50 on dropped off or pulled.
It could have been pulled between southern ave and railroad ave.
There was a small yard siding run around it those weeds.Image
  by CharlieL

Also possibly rails leading to the diamond. They were still there this spring all the way to railroad ave. Can't see easily from the road now; too much leafed out brush.
  by pumpers

It being New Jersey, any scrap iron or steel laying around somewhere will probably disappear pretty quick!
  by Forest3670

If you walk about 30 or 40 feet from Southard Ave past the rails in the pictures. They cut down the brush on the left and cut brush down about 40 feel forward.
  by Tanker1497

Thanks for taking the walk...
This is the start, hoping we see more activity picking up soon!
Last edited by nomis on Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: removed unnecessary quote
  by R&DB

There used to be a switch there, was that pulled as well or was it already gone? I'm kind of suprised they didn't re-use some of it to create a wye.
Last edited by R&DB on Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by CharlieL

I believe there were two: one for the diamond and southern and one for the siding that was there. One got pulled a long time ago (to the siding) the other was there longer and may still be there. Maybe next time I go by I'll walk back and look.

I also suspect they will reactivate that long runaround that's between RR ave and Squankum-Yellowbrook rd. One of those 2 switches just got pulled in the last four years or so, dunno how long the other has been gone.
  by RailsEast

Looks like Conrail salvaging what they can before the takeover.

In my opinion, having worked with the stuff, it's difficult for scavengers to take off with rail; remember, it's 100lbs/yd for 100 lb rail and 132lbs/yd for 132 pound rail. If they want a standard 39 foot section of 100 pound stick rail, commonly seen on the Southern, then that's 1300 pounds to be lifted, loaded, and then carted off. It's not something that your average scavenger can do in a short amount of time without a fair amount of equipment.
  by CharlieL

Also I believe scrap yards would be reluctant to take it from anyone not in the railroad business. Also probably not worth the effort; what's heavy iron worth these days, $5/100lb? As the above, 1300lb would come in at $65.
  by Conrail Blue

It’s more than double that actually. I got 13 cents a pound for #1 steel a few weeks ago which comes out to $13/100lb
  by Bracdude181

Hung out at the Northeast Corridor yesterday with a friend and decided to check out Farmingdale to Freehold on the way home. Here’s what I found.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QAR21QmDaaAzBp3D8

A new road with a curb was put in, and it looks like the kind of entrance you see to an apartment complex or gas station or even a driveway. Very strange to see this when the road is supposed to be ripped up for a new railroad crossing at some point...
  by CharlieL

Yeah, that's Howell Rd. The curb with a cut was put in only at the area of the crossing just before the repave job a month or so back. When it was mentioned on here at that time, you asked where it was, and I posted the GPS coordinates for you.
  by Bracdude181

@CharlieL Still, why did they do it like this if C&D is supposed to come in and put a new crossing in?
  by CharlieL

Curb is cut down on both sides of the road where the tracks will cross.