Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Grand Central Terminal Operations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1436998  by Tommy Meehan

Having looked at the Amtrak Empire Service schedule what surprised me was the times the Amtrak trains will use GCT. I had read it was three pairs of Amtrak trains but it was going to be during evening hours. The departures at 11:15AM and 2:15PM seem okay but 5:48PM is a surprise. The arrival at 10:54AM shouldn't be a problem but 7:34AM and 5:16PM are very busy times. Still it's only one train at a time. I presume the 5:16PM/5:48PM arr-dpt 242/239 [see below] will turn, possibly loop. If so I would guess there will be some problems with that one. That's a pretty tight turnaround at an extremely busy time.
 #1437000  by Tommy Meehan

I understand that's the plan but why the reluctance to use the loop? A couple of other questions occur. Which end of the train will the MNR locomotive be on? Will it run through to Albany Rensselaer? Have they decided?
 #1437010  by Patrick A.

Tommy there will not be an MNR loco on the set. Amtrak has modified a few P32 sets' shoes to be at MNRR 3rd rail height and further modded some P42s to have a control switch for selecting electric/diesel mode. Sets will have a loco at either end so no need to loop or have an MNRR loco.
 #1437032  by DutchRailnut

the reluctance of using loop is, it would require yard crews to take train around and back into platform, it would tie-up part of terminal during these moves .
while with the two engine setup the train will arrive in one move , with no hassle.
 #1437034  by MattW

Two questions, Dutch. Why does that require a yard crew, and doesn't the loop have two platforms or so on it? I understand that turning won't be required, but I'm still curious as to your statements.
 #1437040  by DutchRailnut

first moving trains with passengers around loop is a no no, it can only be done with permission of superintendent of transportation.
why ? cause in case of fire or derailment there is no way to evacuate the train.
why yard crew, road crews from foreign railroads do not move trains within plant.
 #1437053  by DutchRailnut

they could end up anywhere, not just upper but also lower level.
yet only upper level has 480 volt stand by lines.
 #1437061  by JamesRR

MattW wrote:Two questions, Dutch. Why does that require a yard crew, and doesn't the loop have two platforms or so on it? I understand that turning won't be required, but I'm still curious as to your statements.
The loop only has platforms for unloading arriving trains (or technically, loading trains for departure) - originally, trains were meant to arrive on the loop tracks, empty, swing around the loop for maintenance and storage at the eastern yard. There are no platforms on the east side b/c it's a yard.
 #1437161  by RearOfSignal

Amtrak7 wrote:Did MNR OK Amtrak into the entirety of the upper level, or are they going to be restricted to a couple tracks?
As last I heard, Amtrak will be restricted to tracks 38(if consist is not double ended and needed to be looped) and 15. No Amtrak movements on the lower level. Amtrak crews only qualified on the upper level, a MNR engineer would be needed for any switching moves in the terminal.
 #1437307  by DutchRailnut

MN has two pilot crew jobs awarded out of Harmon, both C and E one crew does one round trip, second crew starting later does two round trips.
 #1437308  by Tommy Meehan

Another question that came up, will they be turning the seats? Can the Amtrak train crew do that? How about on 242/239 where they only have 32 minutes to get everyone off, get the outbound passengers on board, do an air test and go? Can they also change the seats in that amount of time?
 #1437316  by shadyjay

Maybe they'll do the half-half seats like they used to do on the Vermonter and still do on the Downeaster, for trains that operate push-pull and are not turned.