Railroad Forums 

• Penn Station Emergency Repairs: Trackwork, etc.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1434790  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Track 34; been there done that in this life.
Won't they need to replace the carpet by now? :-D

*pulls out his copy of the Tracks of the NYC Subway, which has a GCT track layout on page 99...*

But yeah, track 34 would be upper level. How long of a train is the Empire Service? 34's a 14 car long platform.
 #1434827  by Jenny on a M2

BandA wrote:Why was track 34 used for the 20th Century Ltd.? Is it operationally superior?
About 10 years ago I had to regularly commute up to Tarrytown from the city, and my morning Hudson Line express seemed to always depart from track 34. On the odd days it didn't, it rarely roamed far from 34, and 99% of the time stayed on the western GCT tracks.

I'm pretty sure this is because selecting 34 (or the other western tracks) results in minimal shuffle through the ladder to get to either track 2 or 4 in the Park Ave Tunnel, and thus onto the Hudson Line at MO without having to cross any of the other tracks that feed the New Haven and Harlem Lines. So, in that way it would be operationally superior.

Just my observations; I'll leave it to the pros like Dutch and Mr. Weaver to enlighten us as to whether I'm actually right. :wink:
 #1434845  by Ridgefielder

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Track 34; been there done that in this life.
I guess I'm surprised only because I always thought they departed from one of the tracks with gates opening onto the center of the main concourse. 34-35 is the first gate under the Vanderbilt Avenue balcony.
Patrick A. wrote:Empire trains are only 6 cars long I believe, so the platform should be plenty long enough to accommodate.
Probably long enough for two of them, plus engines. I think pretty much every Upper Level track has a platform far longer than the longest MN train using them these days. My normal morning train, 310, usually arrives on 25; looking out the window as we pull in you'd swear nobody had set foot on the northern 1/3 of that platform in years.
 #1434864  by GirlOnTheTrain

STrRedWolf wrote:*pulls out his copy of the Tracks of the NYC Subway, which has a GCT track layout on page 99...*
Betcha I have the only edition of that map that is autographed by the anonymous individual who drew it... ;)
 #1434975  by ExCon90

BandA wrote:Why was track 34 used for the 20th Century Ltd.? Is it operationally superior?
I don't know whether this was a factor, but a public figure--and there were many--wishing to reach the Century without walking across the main concourse could reach Track 34 fairly discreetly after arriving by cab on the Vanderbilt Ave. side, or directly from the Hotel Roosevelt (of course movie stars hoping to attract attention could always come in from 42nd St. and gratify the masses by walking right through the main concourse and over to Track 34). And somehow the entrance to Track 34 had a rather more stately appearance than the ones off the main concourse.

(Or maybe the telephone cord didn't reach any farther?)
 #1435044  by Railjunkie

I believe there was a test train last night to check on clearances between Albany and Poukeepsie for the third rail shoes. Per MNRR instructions they are to be in the down and locked position, cant raise or lower them like we normally would. I know it works around the wye. Hopefully it came back with all six.
 #1435075  by DutchRailnut

two or 3 Amtrak units were retro fitted with MN third rail gear , the air operated Amtrak shoe's were removed.
 #1435111  by jhdeasy

Railjunkie wrote:I believe there was a test train last night to check on clearances between Albany and Poukeepsie for the third rail shoes. Per MNRR instructions they are to be in the down and locked position, cant raise or lower them like we normally would. I know it works around the wye. Hopefully it came back with all six.
I thought their were 4 (not 6) third rail shoes per Genesis dual mode locomotive? One shoe on the right side and left side of the two trucks.
 #1435161  by PC1100

Not to stray off topic, but I believe the 20th Century Limited left from the Track 27-29 area until sometime in the 1940s. Looking at employee timetables on the Canada Southern website, it is shown on Track 27 in 1921 and 1939, Track 28 in 1941, and a 1938 timetable in my collection shows it on Track 28. A 1946 timetable I have shows it on Track 34, where it departed from until the end.
 #1435173  by GirlOnTheTrain

Alright ladies and gents...let's keep this on topic - Amtrak is probably gonna be using the loop tracks at GCT, not 34 for historical funsies. Don't forget, you can't exactly push/pull the equipment.