• Penn Station Emergency Repairs: Trackwork, etc.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Ridgefielder

Backshophoss wrote:You have got to figure that Amtrak will convert 1/4 to 1/3 of the P32's to run on underrunning 3rd rail to cover the 3 round trips
in and out of GCT,for the time the Empire connector is blocked by the track rebuilding blitz at Penn.
As far as servicing the trains at GCT,figure on Amtrak sending over some coach cleaners and car knockers to tend to the basic stuff.
As was stated elsewhere NYS doesn't pay for food service cars,there should not be need to send over Supplies except what's needed in the restrooms.
Just hope nothing winds up at GCT with Major issues,there wont be any spare cars at GCT!
Most Empire trains carry a cafe car. It's the Keystones to Harrisburg that don't have food service. That said, it' not a full diner, and I'd imagine they can figure out a way to restock at Albany or something.
  by Greg Moore

They CARRY a cafe car, but any Empire Service training originating in ALB does not actually have Cafe service.

My understanding is it's 3 of those trains that will be sent to GCT (partly to reduce logistics)
  by Patrick A.

Looks to be on average 7 NYP-ALB Empire Trains in either direction on a daily basis. If the intent is to shift 3 from each direction (NYP-ALB/ALB-NYP),the question would be whether MNRR would permit Amtrak equipment to dwell in GCT for any extended period as the NY/ALB based services are concentrated based (NY bound in the AM and ALB bound in the PM). Just another operational constraint to throw into this equation I suppose.
  by Ridgefielder

Greg Moore wrote:They CARRY a cafe car, but any Empire Service training originating in ALB does not actually have Cafe service.

My understanding is it's 3 of those trains that will be sent to GCT (partly to reduce logistics)
My bad- should have looked at the schedule more carefully. I guess the Empire Service trains I've ridden have all been to/from somewhere past ALB because I definitely have bought either coffee or a beer (depending on time of day) every time I've been on one.
Patrick A wrote:Looks to be on average 7 NYP-ALB Empire Trains in either direction on a daily basis. If the intent is to shift 3 from each direction (NYP-ALB/ALB-NYP),the question would be whether MNRR would permit Amtrak equipment to dwell in GCT for any extended period as the NY/ALB based services are concentrated based (NY bound in the AM and ALB bound in the PM). Just another operational constraint to throw into this equation I suppose.
We're not talking that many trainsets. I'd imagine they'll find space to stow them either in GCT or at Highbridge. Would there be time enough to deadhead to Sunnyside via New Rochelle and the Hell Gate between runs?
TCurtin wrote: If the Empire connector is out of service then you have to think about running everything --- Lake Shore Ltd. and all --- out of GCT.
Problem with routing the Lake Shore into GCT is checked baggage. I don't think Grand Central has the ability to handle checked baggage anymore-- those facilities were removed when the terminal was renovated in the mid-'90s.
  by Greg Moore

Lots of problems with LSL at GCT. The biggest is there's no place to service the sleepers and "Diner-lite". It has to go to Sunnyside, so might as well keep it going to NYP.
  by Hamhock

I must be mis-remembering, but I could have sworn Amtrak temporarily used Grand Central Terminal for several days just a few years ago, and the Lake Shore Limited was among those trains. I remember a shuttle bus connecting Penn with Grand Central while this was going on.
  by Jeff Smith

I'm sure baggage could be accommodated; they don't need a grandiose facility or room; this could simply be done trackside at the top of the platform with a couple of attendants and electric baggage carts. I'd also figure that tickets are going to be checked before entering the platform just as they are at Penn at the top of the escalator.
  by Jeff Smith

Mid-Town Direct, um, re-Directed: NBCNewYork.com
All New Jersey Transit's Morris & Essex Midtown Direct trains to Penn Station will be diverted to Hoboken during the weekslong overhaul at Penn Station this summer, Gov. Chris Christie announced Tuesday.

The Morris & Essex Line's Midtown Direct trains will end in Hoboken, and from there, PATH trains and ferries will honor NJ Transit fares on that line, Christie said at a news conference Tuesday.
Morris & Essex riders will get a discount of 56 to 63 percent during the work -- so a monthly pass from Gladstone to New York City, for example, would drop from $451 to $168, and still include the free ferry and PATH transfers.

Christie estimates a loss of revenue to New Jersey at about $15 million.
  by jamesinclair

Excuse me but I would like a discount of 56 to 63 percent. Who do I talk to to get my trains running to Hoboken?
  by Greg Moore

Jeff Smith wrote:I'm sure baggage could be accommodated; they don't need a grandiose facility or room; this could simply be done trackside at the top of the platform with a couple of attendants and electric baggage carts. I'd also figure that tickets are going to be checked before entering the platform just as they are at Penn at the top of the escalator.
Well, you might need a storage area. Keep in mind Amtrak will store baggage for some period before and after a passenger arrives.
And they need to be able to transfer it to the Silver Service trains out of NYP.

But, it's all doable.
  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

Hamhock wrote:I must be mis-remembering, but I could have sworn Amtrak temporarily used Grand Central Terminal for several days just a few years ago, and the Lake Shore Limited was among those trains. I remember a shuttle bus connecting Penn with Grand Central while this was going on.
Yes. It was October 2008

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=55825&start=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote:Mid-Town Direct, um, re-Directed: NBCNewYork.com
And LIRR plans alternatives to rail

Yeah.

NJ Transit's full post:
NJ TRANSIT Service Plan for July 10th - September 1st
The following weekday rail service plan will be in place continuously from July 10th through September 1st.
  • Midtown Direct trains on the Morristown Line will be diverted to Hoboken.
  • Midtown Direct trains on the Gladstone Branch will be diverted to Hoboken.
  • All Midtown Direct trains on the Montclair-Boonton Line will operate on regular weekday schedules with minor time changes to/from PSNY.
  • All Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line trains will operate on regular weekday schedules with minor time changes to/from PSNY.
  • Raritan Valley Line will operate on regular weekday schedules with adjustments to PSNY schedules.
  • Main/Bergen, Pascack Valley and Port Jervis Lines will operate on regular weekday schedules however customers may need to adjust their connections to New York at Secaucus.

NJ TRANSIT’s regular weekend service will remain in effect through the summer Amtrak Track Repair Work.
  by east point

The reason that weekend service will be impacted more is the necessity to close one of the North river tunnels every weekend. When north bore closed that will cause more problems transiting the ladder tracks.
  by jamesinclair

east point wrote:The reason that weekend service will be impacted more is the necessity to close one of the North river tunnels every weekend. When north bore closed that will cause more problems transiting the ladder tracks.
Isnt a tunnel closed every weekend? Thats why the weekend schedule wont change. Theyre already bunched so all trains go out together, and all trains com in together.

In effect, that means service twice an hour is not every 30 minutes, but 15 and ten 45 minutes apart.
  by EuroStar

jamesinclair wrote:Excuse me but I would like a discount of 56 to 63 percent. Who do I talk to to get my trains running to Hoboken?
While I feel for the impacted riders, this does not look all that kosher. Most of the communities on the M&E are quite well off, or even rich when compared to state or country averages. I do not understand why they need more than a PATH fare to compensate for the inconvenience. I guess I forget, in modern society, rent seeking is considered good, while honest hard work is frowned upon.

Given that tickets are priced by zone, someone could buy a much cheaper ticket Gladstone - Hoboken and use it on any trip of 18 zones or less (not involving NYP). That would cover all NJ stations on the Main/Bergen/Pascack Valley and most of the Boonton lines.