Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1431956  by Penn Central

I just heard this on the news in Florida. http://www.lohud.com/story/news/transit ... 331389001/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Metro-North train derailed near the Rye station Thursday evening.

[...] "several" people were treated on scene "for minor bumps and bruises." One person was treated for chest pain, which she said is believed to be the most serious injury.

Five of the 12-car train, which was scheduled to arrive in Grand Central Terminal at 5:42 p.m., came off the tracks around 5 p.m. in a "slow speed zone," Gamerman said.
It is being described as a "minor derailment" and fortunately, there were no injuries reported.
Last edited by nomis on Thu May 18, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: edited title to add date, and to add fair use quote
 #1431958  by Patrick A.

2 hours after shoving off out of Penn we are past the derailment just East of Rye. Appears to be on Track 3, couldn't get a good look as to number of cars or secerity( wires down, other damage etc). First hot day of the season was not a kind one to MNRR. Going to be a long, rough summer if this is indicative of what is to come. Hopefully this was a one-off incident, glad to hear there were no major injuries.
 #1431981  by Head-end View

Happened almost under the I-95 overpass just east of Rye station. The road right next to the tracks there is the transition from I-95 north to I-287 west.
 #1432826  by Noel Weaver

I heard about this a couple of days ago, it wsa all over the news in New York. Seems it was a heat kink in track 3 and they ran trains over it at 10 MPH. From what I heard a crew failed to follow the 10 MPH and this is what happened as a result. Again, this is what I heard and the source told me that this is what was also on the news in the area.
Noel Weaver
 #1432830  by DutchRailnut

and yes , Blumenthal was right, PTC would have prevented this.
 #1432855  by NH2060

AMTK822401 wrote:Oh great, time for more screaming from Dick Blumenthal and Chuck Schumer about how PTC is God's gift to humanity and how human error is the devil's spawn.
Seeing as they're both already pre-occupied with getting phony outraged over just about *literally* everything pertaining to President Trump we might actually get a break on this one :-P