Railroad Forums 

• Airport Line Mobile Ticketing Pilot (Mozio)

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1426646  by MichaelBug

SEPTA now has a pilot project for mobile ticketing on the Airport Line only, through September 30th, 2017...

http://www.septa.org/mozio/pilot.html#other

This appears to be limited to single trips only, only on the Airport Line, & only for iPhone users. (Android users are out of luck.)

How would a new incoming Airport Line rider find out about this ticketing option? Cost of the tickets? (I would expect them to be the $6.50 pre-purchased price. But, the above website page is notably silent on this.)
 #1426652  by JeffersonLeeEng

Well, looks like the Mozio app is only available for apple/iOS users (Android and Windows are out of luck) and it appears they're charging the sucker rate of $8. I find this to be truly bad form for this apparent misinformation.

http://www.iseptaphilly.com/mozio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by JeffersonLeeEng on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1426653  by JeffersonLeeEng

"The Pilot Program is slated to run from April 3, 2017 until September 30, 2017."

I rode in from the Airport yesterday on apparently the first active day of this pilot program and there really was no indication nor signage to advertise this at all. As a matter of fact, the conductor stated that all fares purchased on-board the train were cash-only and no credit cards were being accepted. Lucky I did have my April Transpass that I bought before heading out of town the week before...

Edit: The SEPTA Key kiosks are there at the AIrport line stations, but as these are not active until April 17th, they had the "Testing, Testing" signage on them and the screens were blank.
 #1426673  by JeffK

JeffersonLeeEng wrote:I find this to be truly bad form for this apparent misinformation.
I can't believe how clumsy so many parts of the Key rollout have been. Whether it's removing token machines and turnstiles before cards are available, difficulties with the website, or now this mishmosh, the result is simply going to be more p*ssed-off customers. You'd think that management would at least want to get things working smoothly at the Airport 'cuz it's many visitors' first experience with SEPTA and with the city - but apparently not.

I'm also waiting to see how much blowback will be generated when tokens disappear, and it sinks in that both the Key card and Quick Trips have more restrictions than those old-fashioned little metal disks.
 #1426812  by Limited-Clear

Will be interesting to see how this roll out goes, remember it's a pilot so they are just trying to see if this will work in any form, as for the "sucker" rate I can see how it's a touchy subject but as it's a pilot program are you really surprised it's the on board fare, it seems it is only for a one way airport to the city and has a time limit for use after activating the purchase, the screen I've seen tells the conductor it's active and how long it has until it expires, don't try a screenshot and sending it to your friend, they will be looking to see the timer counting down, can't wait for the first one to argue "I bought it on my phone but now my phone is dead", or "I bought it but never got anything"

At least they are trying to finally get in the semi modern ages, and give us a way of using payment other than cash.
 #1426819  by jamesinclair

Limited-Clear wrote:Will be interesting to see how this roll out goes, remember it's a pilot so they are just trying to see if this will work.
Is it really so hard to look at what NJ Transit has done? Or the MBTA? or countless other systems?

Why "pilot" a proven concept?

When you buy a TV do you "pilot" it for 6 months by restricting it to a single channel "just to see how it works"?
 #1426907  by Limited-Clear

Do you understand what a pilot program is?

Just because it's proven technology somewhere else, or a system works for one company doesn't mean it will work for another, there are countless systems in place that do the same thing but operate in a different way on all companies, if it were as easy as you put it to be in your post then everyone would have identical railroads.
 #1427033  by pjabowling

The real test for the Regional Rail System will be passengers understanding of the tag in tag out system which tracks where you get on and off the system.

Can Septa Key accurately calculate the fare and how difficult will it be to correct the charges when they are wrong?

Will the system charge correctly when you change trains in Center City?

Collection of cash on Regional Rail needs to go away. You should just use credit, debit or the balance on your key card.
 #1427061  by JeffK

pjabowling wrote:Collection of cash on Regional Rail needs to go away. You should just use credit, debit or the balance on your key card.
The last I heard is that fare kiosks will only be installed at roughly 2/3 of all RRD stations. Without full coverage, SEPTA will still have to allow for cash payments at those stations by the (admittedly decreasing) number of passengers who for whatever reason remain "off the grid".
 #1428263  by nomis

Following that logic, both the MBTA (MBTA mTicket) and Metro North & LIRR (MTA eTix) are using Masabi as their vendor for their Mobile Ticketing solutions that can be easily re-branded for an Septa deployment. NJT's MyTix is more proprietary built by their ticket vendor ACS (Xerox), and Amtrak's ties into the AAROW system more than they would need to redevelop the software with a new backend for stations and trip information.
 #1428440  by scotty269

nomis wrote:Following that logic, both the MBTA (MBTA mTicket) and Metro North & LIRR (MTA eTix) are using Masabi as their vendor for their Mobile Ticketing solutions that can be easily re-branded for an Septa deployment. NJT's MyTix is more proprietary built by their ticket vendor ACS (Xerox), and Amtrak's ties into the AAROW system more than they would need to redevelop the software with a new backend for stations and trip information.
Fun fact: SEPTA Key was being developed by ACS/Xerox. The company now handling it is called Conduent, but that's simply a spin off of Xerox and continuation of ACS.
 #1433257  by leviramsey

Limited-Clear wrote:Do you understand what a pilot program is?

Just because it's proven technology somewhere else, or a system works for one company doesn't mean it will work for another, there are countless systems in place that do the same thing but operate in a different way on all companies, if it were as easy as you put it to be in your post then everyone would have identical railroads.
All that's needed to make mTicket into sTicket is:

* giving it a schema of which fares to offer for which trips and a link to a webpage with the schedules
* telling Masabi where to send reports and the checks
* training conductors to determine whether a ticket's real