Railroad Forums 

• Railbikes to start operating at Newport RI

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1425618  by Ken W2KB

A railbike tourist operation is scheduled to commence operations April 8, 2017 out of Portsmouth, RI (next to Newport) on Aquidneck Island.

See https://www.railexplorers.net/book
 #1425734  by highrail

Rail bikes?...This would seem to imply that regular rail trips are dead at Newport. Is that correct? The website for the Old Colony appears to be out of service. Too bad, a nice run, even though they had to negotiate the entry/exit through the Navy property. Status of the equipment?

Steve
 #1425763  by Ridgefielder

From the dinner train website:
Our Portsmouth station location is also the departure point for Rail Explorers, an exciting new way to enjoy the scenery and history of Aquidneck Island using custom-designed, pedal powered rail bikes. Our schedules have been timed so visitors can enjoy rides both north and south along the line using the rail bikes and the train.
 #1425850  by Ken W2KB

highrail wrote:Rail bikes?...This would seem to imply that regular rail trips are dead at Newport. Is that correct? The website for the Old Colony appears to be out of service. Too bad, a nice run, even though they had to negotiate the entry/exit through the Navy property. Status of the equipment?

Steve
The Old Colony historical operation folded a couple of years ago, I believe. I last rode it about 3 years or so ago, a very nice trip. The non-historic for profit dinner / ice cream trains are still running.
 #1426056  by b&m 1566

Ken W2KB wrote:The Old Colony historical operation folded a couple of years ago, I believe.
According to Wikipedia it is closed and has been for a couple of years (just finding out now for myself), what happened!?
 #1426176  by Ken W2KB

b&m 1566 wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:The Old Colony historical operation folded a couple of years ago, I believe.
According to Wikipedia it is closed and has been for a couple of years (just finding out now for myself), what happened!?
Insufficient revenue from ridership to cover equipment maintenance and other costs and dwindling number of volunteers from what I recall reading at the time.