Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1416766  by JamesRR

Searching through the forum, I couldn't find much discussion on this. Track 200 in GCT is the lower level loop return track. From looking at diagrams, was this a lone tunnel bored through the bedrock - meaning, it wasn't in the middle of a large excavation? It was bored simply to bring the loop tracks back around to the approach ladder?

If so - how did one access this from within - were there emergency exit shafts? And what has become of it due to the ESA severing the loop and Mad. Avenue yard?
 #1416777  by DutchRailnut

track 200 is on eastside and can be reached via service walkways from track 100 all workshops are in between for B&B
 #1417345  by Penn Central

Although the lower level loop has been out of service for many years, track 200 is still in service and was being used frequently when I was still working at Metro-North 10 years ago. There is a platform on the west side of track 200 that is adjacent to the B&B shops that makes the track easily accessible.
 #1417396  by JamesRR

In the image in the link below, an old Lower Level track plan, I see a huge white square to the left - is that the shop area adjacent to track 200?

And is Track 200 mostly (to the north of that) just running in a tunnel? It doesn't appear to have anything alongside it.

http://www.american-rails.com/images/NYCLOWGCT.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1420643  by CP-4070

I think I have read somewhere that it can only be used by trains from the north and not from the south anymore. Therfore it may only be used for storage.
 #1420647  by DutchRailnut

you are correct, as all loop tracks on lower level are out of service, the west side of loop tracks is all gone, it is future terminal hall for LIRR.
 #1421420  by CP-4070

Another thing that came to my mind is a platform that I see between tracks 53 and 53. It is called Adams Platform. What is/was the purpose of it?
 #1421456  by DutchRailnut

removed, off topic.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1421520  by CP-4070

Sorry, I meant 53 and 54. I thought that the famous platform is between 61 and 63 and that there is a less famous platform between 53 and 54. Thus, I guess that they both had the same purpose and looked similar?
 #1421529  by DutchRailnut

so how did this conversation go from 200 on lower level to same old sh*t show of waldorf platform ??
http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/gct61.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1422163  by JamesRR

Yes - you're on the wrong level!

My post was about Track 200 on the lower level.
 #1422694  by andegold

Well, speaking of sh!tshows, local CBS news this morning rehashed the whole thing while covering the closing of the Waldorf Astoria for renovations and condominium conversion.