Railroad Forums 

• First Amtrak trip and first time in the US

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1397700  by ExCon90

I don't know how much news coverage there has been in Sweden about the wildfire in Southern California, but at the moment the rail line used by the Southwest Chief is obstructed between Barstow and San Bernardino. The Chief is being rerouted from Barstow to Mojave on a former Santa Fe line with no present passenger service, and from Mojave to Los Angeles via a former Southern Pacific line, whose only passenger service today is a suburban service of Los Angeles Metrolink between Lancaster and Los Angeles. It will mean a few hours' delay, and I think the train may have to reverse direction in Mojave and run "backwards" from there to LA. However, it's "rare mileage" highly prized by U. S. railfans. Since you already have your tickets, I think we'd be interested in knowing how well Amtrak keeps you informed--although they may be back in operation over the regular route by the time of your trip.
 #1397742  by Backshophoss

As of today,the normal route for the SW Chief via Cajon Pass has reopened to passenger traffic.

IF the trains are running late,the longer stops will not be long,as soon as the station work is done,the train will depart,
stay close to the train.
 #1397909  by Blillpers

I've not heard anything about the wildfire on the news, paper or television, nor have Amtrak informed me about it. However, I suppose the latter is because they assumed the normal route would open by then (which it now apparently has done). :-)
 #1398006  by NealG

Regarding tipping (and forgive me if this was already addressed -it didn't pop up to me in a quick scan of the prior posts), you should also tip the waitstaff in the dining car, even though the cost of the meal is included with your fare. A customary tip of 15-20% of what the cost of the meal would be should suffice. A tip in the cafe car (where there is counter service), while a very nice gesture, isn't as customary. I usually throw in a buck or two, or just the remaining change, depending on the amount spent.
 #1398474  by jobtraklite

jcpatten wrote:If you don't want to try to trust your luggage to the staff in the lounge in Chicago there are paid lockers that you can use. Requires a credit card (to pay for it) and a finger print (to lock it/unlock it). When entering from the Great Hall, the lockers are the first hallway on the right, the room on the left. The Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago has recently changed, so I don't know how secure the luggage is now; before you walked in the door and the luggage storage was to your immediate left which didn't strike me as all that secure.
I can't see why anyone would want to use the expensive lockers when the metropolitan lounge storage room is available. Personally, I like the the setup in the new lounge, which I should point out is identical to DC and NY. Having to get in line every time you needed to get something in or out of your luggage was a PITR. Just as in DC and NY, the lounge staff keeps a close eye on the luggage room.

Disclaimer: obviously, I wouldn't leave my laptop there; but if any one wanted my dirty laundry, they would be welcome to it.
 #1399222  by Tadman

I live in Chicago, and I would suggest either Lou Mitchell's restaurant (across the street) or Miller's pub (15 minute walk) for some good old fashioned American heart-attack food. Lou's has amazing corned beef hash and donut holes. Miller's has fantastic medium-rare 10oz cheeseburgers and back ribs.