• <REDACTED> train only one car open

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Uncle Cheapo

The car is there for added braking power. If you really don't need it, why open it?
  by BuddR32

It's not for braking that I can say. The added car is only designed to stop its own weight, not that of other cars.

It's for evacuation
  by Uncle Cheapo

Have you ran a train before? You would know the more cars the better the braking will be.
  by BuddR32

Still not there for added braking. What real difference would one extra C3 car have on braking on this train?

Do you really think that the scoot had one DE/DM and a cab car for a decade (or more) before the rr realized it needed more braking power? It was required by the emergency preparedness plan under 239. Ask next time you go for PTEP
  by Uncle Cheapo

I don't work for lirr, I'm a freight jock, and more cars the better braking. Are you a engineer? I guess not.
  by BuddR32

I am not arguing you about better braking, I never would, just that is not reason why THIS railroad added the second car. No, I'm not an engineer, I don't claim to be, or need to be to understand what the second car is for.
  by Slippy

Uncle Cheapo, BuddR32 is right. He knows everything because he runs his model train set in his basement. Your 15+ years of service in freight means nothing in the argument.
  by Tadman

Mod/admin note:

Y'all had better layoff. This is ridiculous.

Also, no naming train numbers and dates. We're not a court here, so leave that stuff out. It would be really bad if you put a guy on the street.