• <REDACTED> train only one car open

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by jackintosh11

I'm on train <REDACTED>. The cab car is closed except to use as a bathroom. The conductor said that it was because the doors won't open, but it's only one car, people could easily walk back. The train is pretty crowded right now. Why wouldn't the rear car be open?
  by DutchRailnut

then leave it to Conductor to make the determination, he gets paid for it.
  by Datenail

PM me the exact date and time you were on the train.
  by KT3

DutchRailnut wrote:then leave it to Conductor to make the determination, he gets paid for it.
So now it's wrong even to ask basic questions on this forum? What if someone is genuinely interested in understanding this situation?
  by hrfcarl

If I remember correctly, some or most of the platforms on the Greenport branch are long enough for 1.5 cars to platform. If I am correct, then only 1 car can open both doors so having all riders in 1 car prevents passengers from missing their stop and/or cuts down time at each station by not having to wait for them to move to the car with the open doors.
  by northpit

nobody likes to sit in a crowded car looking at an empty one.This has been a problem forever.We employees are our own worst enemies in regards to open cars.Train crews routinely herd people into a crowded train and keep cars closed.Its bad business and I have personally seen how this and other bad habits have turned what would be common sense into rewriting of rules.by the way dutch railroader a conductor is instructed by special instructions not by what they think regarding open cars.The car should have been open
  by onorclose7

Customers seem to think that they are each entitled to their own 5 seater.
  by BuddR32

If I recall correctly, it was only a single car and an engine. The second car was added for emergencies on board (fire, smoke, etc) with the one car, passeners had no other car to move to.

The service doesnt require the second car to be open.
  by Jeff Smith

Admin Note: Everyone breathe. I don't mind general questions. It's our policy to leave specific complaint information out; that should be communicated to the Railroad's Customer Service. They can take appropriate action. If you frame it as a general question, fine. We can't substantiate here what actually happened, and we don't want disciplinary action to be taken based on such and adjudicated in a public forum. Take it to the railroad, please.

I've edited out the identifying information. The argument at hand is valid, and both sides have points. It could be safety/operating rules, it could be a conductor's preference, whatever. It's an argument that's gone on forever. But let's leave the ad hominem's out going forward.
  by jackintosh11

Even if they only added it because of emergency situations, why not open it? The car closed was the only one with a bathroom, so passengers were allowed to go into it, just not sit in it. I understand that there might have been issues with the doors not opening, just make that clear to passengers and tell them that they have to walk forward.
  by SwingMan

Jeff Smith wrote:Admin Note: Everyone breathe. I don't mind general questions. It's our policy to leave specific complaint information out; that should be communicated to the Railroad's Customer Service. They can take appropriate action. If you frame it as a general question, fine. We can't substantiate here what actually happened, and we don't want disciplinary action to be taken based on such and adjudicated in a public forum. Take it to the railroad, please.

I've edited out the identifying information. The argument at hand is valid, and both sides have points. It could be safety/operating rules, it could be a conductor's preference, whatever. It's an argument that's gone on forever. But let's leave the ad hominem's out going forward.

The cat is already out of the bag, Jeff.
  by Liquidcamphor

I take the blame for this one. I saw the post and didn't delete it. The proper forum for complaints should be through the LIRR and not here.