Railroad Forums 

• Silverliner Vs Out of Service - Schedule/Service Discussion

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1392227  by Gilbert B Norman

I trust there will be lengthened schedules for the trains to which they will assign the Amtrak equipment. Boarding and alighting Amfleet cars at low level platforms, has never been their "strong suit".

Lest we forget that running with the traps open (as did the New Haven's "Stamford Locals" when I was a kid) is a big "no no" nowadays.
 #1392233  by scotty269

STrRedWolf wrote:
bikentransit wrote:How will SEPTA be qualifying crews to run foreign equipment by Monday?
I think they will not run SEPTA crews in those cars. The Amfleet and MARC equipment will be run by Amtrak crews, because they are qualified for it (MARC is qualified on the NEC). NJT equipment will run with NJT crews (also NEC qualified).

We won't know for sure until we see the schedules.
It was specifically mentioned in the press conference... SEPTA will operate all trains with SEPTA crews. I would assume that engineers are already qualified on the ACS64 as per the trial runs they did a few months ago. It will be interesting to see which locomotives that NJT will provide. If they provide ALP44M units, SEPTA already has qualified engineers.
 #1392237  by Gilbert B Norman

Live and learn, Mr. Ken S. It scared me as a kid, and even more my Mother; "don't go changing cars, it's dangerous".

Now I must wonder if Amtrak has a Rule regarding open traps and if so, will their Rule prevail over SEPTA's apparently less restrictive one?
 #1392240  by Railrhodes

It always used to be the case that SEPTA ran the Silverliners with the doors and traps open (save for express service, etc.). About 5-6 years ago, I noticed an abrupt change in behaviour. Suddenly these were being opened and closed at each station, so I am certain that SEPTA set new rules at the time that these are to be closed. However, as time has worn on either the rule has been relaxed or the crews started to fall back into their old habits and disregarded them. Nowadays it really depends on the crew. Some trains I see with both doors and traps open, others with the doors closed but the traps open (perhaps slightly more common), and on rare occasion those with both closed. The big advantage to SEPTA of running the traps open is that they do not need to have crew member present at each door to open these traps at each station. Many a time I have detrained a Silverliner when there was no crew member in my car pairing, so it really requires more manpower than SEPTA is accustomed to using. Opening both traps (i.e., the rear on car one, the front on car two) also takes a non-trivial amount of time away from collecting tickets and fares (at least on the Paoli-Thorndale line where the distance between stations is so small). Perhaps that is why the practice has persisted.
 #1392248  by 8th Notch

scotty269 wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:
bikentransit wrote:How will SEPTA be qualifying crews to run foreign equipment by Monday?
I think they will not run SEPTA crews in those cars. The Amfleet and MARC equipment will be run by Amtrak crews, because they are qualified for it (MARC is qualified on the NEC). NJT equipment will run with NJT crews (also NEC qualified).

It was specifically mentioned in the press conference... SEPTA will operate all trains with SEPTA crews. I would assume that engineers are already qualified on the ACS64 as per the trial runs they did a few months ago. It will be interesting to see which locomotives that NJT will provide. If they provide ALP44M units, SEPTA already has qualified engineers.
It's really not a big deal to qualify engineers on equipment, most of the time a Road Forman will ride the equipment and do a quick familiarization.
 #1392259  by F-line to Dudley via Park

scotty269 wrote:
deandremouse wrote:is it an ALP44 or 46? The 44s have been mothballed for some time i'd imagine it would take a bit of time and $$$ to get one up and running again
My bad - he did not specify 44 or 46. I assumed 44 due to SEPTA being familiar with it already. It could be either.
Has to be a 46 if they're arriving immediately. The NJT 44's in storage are all stripped of their pantographs with metal plating covering the windows. As they've missed 5 years worth of inspection cycles, a rush job on prep-for-service would take a minimum few weeks...longer if they discovered components that decayed from that long a time spent in mothballs.

Amtrak would be able to get its stored AEM-7AC's that have been out-of-service for months prepped for service MUCH sooner in an emergency than the ALP-44's that have been stored for years. So if plotting out next-wave reinforcements 2-3 weeks out it's almost certainly going to be AMTK Toasters and not NJT 44's.
 #1392264  by JoeRailRoad

STrRedWolf wrote:

Cant be done as there will be conflict between the SEPTA, MARC, Amtrak & NJTRO unions.

Also the foreign RR cews are not qualified on SEPTA's lines of railroad.

Joe
 #1392273  by rslitman

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I trust there will be lengthened schedules for the trains to which they will assign the Amtrak equipment. Boarding and alighting Amfleet cars at low level platforms, has never been their "strong suit".

Lest we forget that running with the traps open (as did the New Haven's "Stamford Locals" when I was a kid) is a big "no no" nowadays.
What are traps?

Also, can someone please look at my earlier post about whether or not the borrowed equipment will only run on the three SEPTA lines that are also Amtrak lines and at least acknowledge it if the answer is not known? Thanks.
 #1392274  by STrRedWolf

JoeRailRoad wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:

Cant be done as there will be conflict between the SEPTA, MARC, Amtrak & NJTRO unions.

Also the foreign RR cews are not qualified on SEPTA's lines of railroad.

Joe
There is no such thing as a train union w/MARC. MARC contracts out the running of their equipment. With two CSX lines, it's Bombardier. With the NEC line ("Penn line" down here), Amtrak is under agreement to run MARC equipment with Amtrak crews.
 #1392283  by JoeRailRoad

STrRedWolf wrote:There is no such thing as a train union w/MARC. MARC contracts out the running of their equipment. With two CSX lines, it's Bombardier. With the NEC line ("Penn line" down here), Amtrak is under agreement to run MARC equipment with Amtrak crews.
I hate to bust your bubble but the BLET and SMART-TD represents the engineers & trainmen for Bombardier Transit Services/MARC.

Joe