Railroad Forums 

• Silverliner Vs Out of Service - Schedule/Service Discussion

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1391926  by JoeRailRoad

philipmartin wrote:Running NJT trains between Trenton and 30th Street was discussed prior to the Pope's visit to Philadelphia. I believe the laws setting up NJT preclude it.
It can be done if there were a crew change in Trenton Station, SEPTA crew taking over to PA and vice versa, just like the football train from Connecticut to New Jersey.

Joe
 #1391928  by R36 Combine Coach

Ken S. wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:LIRR has no usable equipment, all cars require high level platforms and engines are proprietary to the bi-Levels and do not have PTC yet.
MN could send Bombardier cars, but cab cars and engines do not have PTC yet.
all MN/CDOT EMU's (M-8) are for high level platforms only and will not power on 25 hz.
Does CDOT have spare MAFERSA cars?
Makes me wonder if MBTA would have surplus diesel equipment (F40s) and retired/stored coaches (MBBs?).
 #1391930  by stephenjohnson10

Whenever something like this happens, I'm always interested in how certain operational items are handled. Maybe someone here has the answers.

1. Why are so many trains delayed, when far fewer are running than normally run? Especially if many trains are skipping stations and picking up time that may have been lost on abnormally large amounts of people boarding at previous stations.

2. I am guessing fewer crews are needed because fewer trains are running. Is SEPTA forcing crews to take vacation time or doing something else similar since the full weekday compliment of employees is obviously not needed?

Thanks in advance.
 #1391936  by F-line to Dudley via Park

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Makes me wonder if MBTA would have surplus diesel equipment (F40s) and retired/stored coaches (MBBs?).
No spare locos. They have 12 dead F40PH-2C units right now that they're so desperate to repair they're RFP'ing for outside contractors to pick up the slack because the shop is hopelessly bogged down and unable to keep up with the mounting casualties. Most of the stored F40PH and GP40MC units recently retired have been stripped of parts to band-aid the remaining Geeps and later-gen F40's and are inoperable at the moment. Sort of doesn't matter because those things would never be able to run through a tunnel to begin with.

The MBB coaches have been stored long enough that they have missed a couple inspection cycles by now and wouldn't be instantaneous reactivations. The T itself has a car shortage, and the deteriorated condition of those stored cars has made simple reactivation less obvious a solution than it would appear because there'd need to be some minor shop work to stretch them out another 1-2 years. And the shop is too overwhelmed for that right now. For dire emergency purposes lasting weeks or months, though, they'd be wholly adequate...moreso than the worse-condition SEPTA Comets that have been out-of-service way longer. It's just because of the missed inspection cycles you'll be talking 1-2 weeks, not 1-2 days, to scramble them. So SEPTA needs to exhaust what it can borrow from other agencies first before phoning up the MBTA. CDOT indeed has way more Mafersas than Shore Line East requires, but all are rotated in regular service so they're a first-choice option for getting cars fast. If MARC is keeping the MARC IIA's that have already been displaced by the new MLV's in ready-to-run reserve duty, those are next-most obvious choice to borrow and get onsite quickly.

They just need to get the power onhand first before those extra coaches become useful in any way. And that's the tough part because there's very little extra power to spare. Especially electrics. Amtrak may have a lot of AEM-7AC's, but other than the last couple on NEC service and the ones substituting on MARC most have lapsed their 92-day inspections or had some minor parts harvesting and also wouldn't be instantaneous reactivations without a week or two's worth of furious prep-for-service scrambling.
 #1391947  by ExCon90

stephenjohnson10 wrote:Whenever something like this happens, I'm always interested in how certain operational items are handled. Maybe someone here has the answers.

1. Why are so many trains delayed, when far fewer are running than normally run? Especially if many trains are skipping stations and picking up time that may have been lost on abnormally large amounts of people boarding at previous stations.

2. I am guessing fewer crews are needed because fewer trains are running. Is SEPTA forcing crews to take vacation time or doing something else similar since the full weekday compliment of employees is obviously not needed?

Thanks in advance.
As to point 1, the time saved by omitting a station stop is no more than a minute or two; much more time than that is lost at points where passengers are leaving the train, as those in the middle of a car are forced to fight their way through the standing mob (who have nowhere to move to) to get to the door. This is particularly noticeable on trips from Center City, since at every stop there will be people trapped in the middle and trying to get out. And of course the Silverliner Vs and their predecessors were never designed for quick entrance and exit at the best of times.
 #1391949  by JeffersonLeeEng

scotty269 wrote:
Through the morning rush, just three inbound SEPTA trains stopped at Ardmore. When an Amtrack train stopped around 8:45 a.m. the conductor told potential riders they could get on to go to 30th Street Station but it would cost $11. A few people had prearranged with Amtrack. Most of those waiting continued to wait.
http://www.mainlinemedianews.com/articl ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why aren't these people opting to use the NHSL from Ardmore Junction?
 #1391958  by ExCon90

JeffersonLeeEng wrote:Why aren't these people opting to use the NHSL from Ardmore Junction?
Habit and routine are powerful. When the 42nd St. Shuttle in New York had a catastrophic fire that caused beams that held up 42nd St. to buckle, pedestrians had to detour to certain north-south streets to cross. One morning I came out of GCT and noticed a pedestrian who had gone under the yellow tape and was climbing over a barrier to cross 42nd St. When stopped by a cop, he said, "but this is how I get to work." A lot of those people may not know how to find the NHSL (or Ardmore Junction, or Ardmore Ave., for that matter).
 #1391960  by jonnhrr

JeffersonLeeEng wrote:Why aren't these people opting to use the NHSL from Ardmore Junction?
Or the 106 or 103 to Upper Darby then the MFSE.
 #1391967  by JeffK

ExCon90 wrote:Habit and routine are powerful. ... A lot of those people may not know how to find the NHSL (or Ardmore Junction, or Ardmore Ave., for that matter.
Sad to say, it's not just force of habit / lack of familiarity. I worked in CC with a number of people who took the Paoli Line. When there were disruptions, I'd offer to guide them through using the MFSE and NHSL but the usual response was horror or disgust that I'd, uh, "lower" myself to ride a SUBWAY. One daughter lives near Audubon and has a choice of taking the Norristown RRD or the NHSL. She takes the latter because it runs more often and the MFSE stops closer to her job, yet hears the same "you actually ride the SUBWAY???" comments from her co-workers too.

Sigh......
 #1391997  by MichaelBug

jonnhrr wrote:
Or the 106 or 103 to Upper Darby then the MFSE.
Or even better, the 44, with DIRECT service to Center City leaving from right next to the Ardmore RRD station lot!!
 #1392011  by STrRedWolf

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:If MARC is keeping the MARC IIA's that have already been displaced by the new MLV's in ready-to-run reserve duty, those are next-most obvious choice to borrow and get onsite quickly.
Doubtful. If they're any IIA's that haven't been converted to "bike cars" for the weekend, I haven't seen them. They may already have been scrapped or sold off.

The only thing that could do the job would be the ex-ex-Metra "cattle" cars that were on the Brunswick line... but MARC is push/pull operation and SEPTA would need to find the motive power, because MARC doesn't have much to spare (maybe a HHP-8, but that's for testing the newer MARC IV's).
 #1392028  by philipmartin

Code: Select all

JoeRailRoad wrote:
philipmartin wrote:Running NJT trains between Trenton and 30th Street was discussed prior to the Pope's visit to Philadelphia. I believe the laws setting up NJT preclude it.
It can be done if there were a crew change in Trenton Station, SEPTA crew taking over to PA and vice versa, just like the football train from Connecticut to New Jersey.

Joe
From "10 in Motion" http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/traffic/ ... 60501.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; we get: "NJ Transit spokesman Jim Smith said. "Under regulations, SEPTA crews are not qualified to operate NJ TRANSIT equipment." I wonder what regulations they are referring to; Union rules?
Last edited by philipmartin on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.