Railroad Forums 

• LV Potters....

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1273734  by wolfboy8171981

davebdawg wrote: But why isn't there signage indicating that if stuck on the crossing the second gate stays up for a safe exit?
I really didn't know this either until I saw the crossing with a target car in line with a train!!!

As all that's there is don't stop on the tracks, which at rush hour is really hard to avoid.

At least the engineer had a good chuckle!!!
:-)

Its not hard to avoid stopping on the tracks, you just don't ride up the ass of the car in front of you.
 #1273743  by umtrr-author

davebdawg wrote:But why isn't there signage indicating that if stuck on the crossing the second gate stays up for a safe exit?
I really didn't know this either until I saw the crossing with a target car in line with a train!!!
My guess-- and it's only that-- is that people will then read the sign (despite many Jersey drivers apparently not knowing how to reach much else in the way of traffic signs-- I can say this as I'm a native) and therefore 'know' that there is an 'out'... and will start sitting on the crossing. Or other such stupidity...
 #1273871  by davebdawg

Well tell that to every doggone driver out there Wolfie to stay offamyass no matter where I go RR Crossings not withstanding!!!! :wink:
 #1274292  by BigDell

Was at the Potter crossing the other day and was DELAYED by a train, NOT, but on the other side of the street which traffic usually backs up across the tracks due to a traffic light close by was a car stuck between the gates with an eastbound barreling towards the crossing. And the driver was going apes--t on where to go before becoming mincemeat and didn't notice that the second gate was up for an escape route!!!!
So he finally backed up and hit the gate and almost rammed the car in back of him.
Wow... it's NOT the first time I've seen cars stop on the crossing because of that relatively new traffic light by the CVS just a couple hundred feet down the road. Again, for the life of me, how anyone could choose to pull out over the crossing and stop there completely escapes me.... I like to use the CVS parking lot to park when I trainspot at the crossing. But it's the first I've heard of the gates coming down while a car was in there. Oh he must have FREAKED!!! The crossing was busy this past weekend, even overnight. Heard the rumbling quite a bit - and the occasional horn out in the distance.
 #1275152  by Sirsonic

It's funny, drawbridges have the same style four quadrant gates (actually barriers that are designed to stop a vehicle) and there is no need for signs on the bridge to warn that if the gate comes down behind you just go forward until you are clear. Perhaps drivers aren't as stupid when they encounter a drawbridge. If this moron didn't notice the gate was up in front of him, why would he notice a sign?
 #1280660  by davebdawg

Was biking down Potters to Tingley yesterday and it looks like there was some kind of derail at the switch frog since there were some splintered ties on the side and new ones installed there. Also looks like the frog rail Y guides were very well split and missing metal fragments too. Any ideas on what and when this happened? As I remember being out in the yard one night last month and it sounded something like a train may of derailed out there at Pottersville?
Thanks.
 #1280709  by NYSW2300

davebdawg wrote:Was biking down Potters to Tingley yesterday and it looks like there was some kind of derail at the switch frog since there were some splintered ties on the side and new ones installed there. Also looks like the frog rail Y guides were very well split and missing metal fragments too. Any ideas on what and when this happened? As I remember being out in the yard one night last month and it sounded something like a train may of derailed out there at Pottersville?
Thanks.
You must have missed the coverage of the K098-24 derailment at Potter and subsequent evacuation due to 10,000 barrels of crude oil that spilled.
 #1280745  by davebdawg

Nah, Must of missed that one, YSYL You Snooze You Looze!!!!
 #1389118  by BigDell

Something must be up at Potters (Inman Ave, Edison - LV double track crossing). The last couple weeks the trains have been blasting the horns through there. Personally I love it, it's like the old days, but it must be driving the people living Right On The Mainline kinda' nutso. They're the ones that petitioned for the quiet crossings. I'm loving the variety. There are some really "interesting" and different toots going on.
Anyway, it's a nice throwback and I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Summer is here and the days are long with lots of good light...
 #1389248  by NYSW2300

BigDell wrote:Something must be up at Potters (Inman Ave, Edison - LV double track crossing). The last couple weeks the trains have been blasting the horns through there. Personally I love it, it's like the old days, but it must be driving the people living Right On The Mainline kinda' nutso. They're the ones that petitioned for the quiet crossings. I'm loving the variety. There are some really "interesting" and different toots going on.
Anyway, it's a nice throwback and I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Summer is here and the days are long with lots of good light...
There was an issue with the sensors in the road that allow the exit gates to come down. The responsibility for fixing the issue lies with the township. Until the issue is resolved the crossing does not meet FRA Quiet Zone requirements. If the people want to complain talk to the town not the railroad.
 #1389916  by BigDell

There was an issue with the sensors in the road that allow the exit gates to come down. The responsibility for fixing the issue lies with the township. Until the issue is resolved the crossing does not meet FRA Quiet Zone requirements. If the people want to complain talk to the town not the railroad.
Thanks NYSW2300... it was a fun couple of weeks but I guess the township got around to it as I don't hear anything at the crossing anymore. I REALLY enjoyed it while it lasted. Was working out of my home office for a good portion so I was able to indulge... then suddenly - silence (except the rumble).
 #1404587  by davebdawg

Hey Bigdell, The horns are blasting away at Potter again, have been for about a week or so now, as had dinner over at Gallo pizzeria and heard them loud and clear there!! But didn't get a chance to see if the big red X indicator was flashing to let the engineer know all is well with the not so quiet crossing now!!! But probably not.

So if it's up to the town (Edison) to get the QZC fixed it will take a long time as they will probably have to apply for a property tax increase to help pay for that, like they ain't high enough already!!!

YAY!! :-D

Horny Potter!!
 #1404709  by davebdawg

Was out at Potter crossing today and saw some fresh hit car parts strewn about, does this have something to do with the crossing closedown at Tingley the other day:

https://local.nixle.com/alert/5742341/?sub_id=1429536" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And of course the horns are on again there ,Never should of made Potter a QZ as there seems to be more than ever auto slams there, is there a website that documents these by crossing address?
 #1404828  by BigDell

I'm telling you, the action is hot at Potters these days! I've been out of town the last few days but will be back in NJ tonight, so I"ll be listening for the horns. Maybe I'll take a little stroll down there tomorrow and check out the crossing.
"Tingley Lane will be shut down until further notice in the area of the Conrail track crossing due to a disabled train across the intersection. Please plan an alternate route."

Tingley is much more of an interesting crossing. It's picturesque and quiet... I wonder what happened? There "seems" to be a lot more trains lately so with these quiet zones it doesn't surprise me, sadly, if the number of incidents is up.
 #1406593  by davebdawg

Found this on Edisons advisory page:

https://local.nixle.com/alert/5742266/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When will the signals to stop the freight trains from blowing their horns be fixed In North Edison? I have been calling your office and been told they will be fixed. My question is when?

Never we Hope!!!
But it seems only the eastbounders are being horny!!

Why is that??

:P