• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by gregorygrice

AMK0123 wrote:I used to catch the night trains daily going through Cold Spring till about a year or so ago. I saw a picture from the other day of a daytime Q701. Looked to have all mixed freight on it. Also Mr. Grice posted a picture of a Q7.. with all sludge containers the other day. My question is, is CSX still running a separate mixed freight Q43* and Q70* n the Hudson line or have they been combining them like they are doing on the River line with the trash cars on Q438/439??? I know back a few years ago there was always the two trains except for maybe Sunday night they would combine the train, usually with trash cars up front and mixed on the rear... Also for the guys near Oak Point, have you noticed an increase in carloads over the past year or so or a decline?

Q704 is still a single commodity trash train but it now transports EVERY type of waste, not just strictly Waste Management loads.

Q430 still runs as a manifest but also has any left over loaded trash.

Q431 and Q701 run the same way but are sometimes combined. Q701 is also used for "special commodities" such as rail trains or rail car deliveries (like M8s to MNR)
  by gregorygrice

Last night's Q704 with Metro North GP35r 3rd out bound for Brookville for rebuild

https://youtu.be/St97IhfDdjg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by rscott417

2 gp38-2s were switching the new haven building this morning at 5:20
  by ccutler

Oak Point Yard...still a paradise for boxcars...
From today around 1:30. The transfer run from Long Island rolled in 30 minutes later with the following consist:
3 sd40-2s
3 box
15 construction debris
3 lpg tank cars
4 box
3 lumber rack
6 construction debris
1 tank
2 box
4 flour covered hoppers
1 box
2 lumber rack
7 box
3 lumber rack
15 trash container cars
1 box
10 trash container cars
3 box
2 lumber rack
1 box
3 tank
in that order ;-)
  by ccutler

Oak Point Yard is looking pretty full this Tuesday night at 8pm, as two SE 40-2s roll up the right side of the view in preparation for taking the daily run up to Selkirk Yard.

I love these long evenings, which allowed for today's bike ride!
  by expbusop

8762 and8842 leading Q431 5:55am yesterday entering OP link at Highbridge, empty trash C&D cars and general freight. Came back uptown it was stretched out back to 161 St stopped on link 6:50am. Were they waiting for clearance to the yard or setting out green trash cars?
  by ccutler

Sounds like it was jamming a Metro North inbound track at the start of rush hour, not smooth!

Today around 4pm and SD40-2 was switching the west throat of Oak Point Yard, apparently preparing an outbound freight for Selkirk. On the east throat, there is apparently a new switch and some replaced sections of track. Some RJ Corman railcar rerailing tractors were there as well, but I think they have been there for a while.
  by gregorygrice

I wonder why MNR got involved.
  by ccutler

Other than the RJ Corman equipment, there was no obvious sign today of a derailment having occurred.

Yes, it is interesting that MNR crews were there. to help or to monitor?
  by Backshophoss

After last year's trash train derailment near DV,MN may have VETO power on freight cars moving on MN's
trackage.
Were any of these cars "placarded"(ie:Haz-Mat loads)??
  by freightguy

I wonder if Metro North's wreck crew was just an easy fix? CSX may even not have a wreck crew out of Selkirk anymore. The MNRR wreck crew has went to a few different railroads over the past years including the NY&Atlantic. They're based of the North White Plains shops.
  by AlKaLI

Finally caught CSXT going north towards Hell Gate from my LIRR train this morning at 7:00 AM. Two SD40-2s leading green trash container flats. Only saw about the first ten cars but all green containers.
  by csx8851

That's pretty early on the return trip. On a side note, does anyone know is CHFP/ FPCH are running? I haven't caught them for two Fridays in a row which is kind of unusual unless they switched up their timing.
  by gregorygrice

Timings are the same. It's actually on the Hell Gate Bridge right now