• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by gregorygrice

expbusop wrote:Great pics and video Greg! This am @ 8:25 2724 NB at Highbridge running long hood forward with a single boxcar. Lumber I suppose?
Yeah should be Lumber for Chelsea Lumber. Also Thank you!!
  by rr503

Amazing stuff Greg! Always follow your shots on Railpictures. Quick question: what is that green sign in the middle of the tracks in your last shot of it entering OP?
  by gregorygrice

Thank you! It looks slightly green, but that's a blue flag post.
  by rr503

Ohhhhh. Should have known..
Maybe I'm going color blind :)
Great stuff!
  by ccutler

I took a ride to the Oak Point Yard area which was very active. A switcher was gathering refrigerator cars in the back of Hunts Point food market. I attached a photo taken from the new park just NE of that market. Another switcher was gathering long strings of the brown concentrated sludge [aka sh*t] container cars, which were exceptionally putrid today. Apparently NYC likes their sh*t cars to accumulate over time to create long and efficient trains of brown sh*t containers in the South Bronx.
  by DogBert

That's not a good since. Wasn't NY Organic shut down due to the stench?
  by ccutler

NY Organic never smelt that much. The containers also appear to travel from the sewage plant to the rail terminal with the container lids off
  by ccutler

I saw the transfer run out of the yard heading over Hell Gate Bridge this morning at 7am. 2 DS40-2s and 1 SD 60.
  by ccutler

Here's a photo of Oak Point Yard yesterday. Of interest is the cut of 10 scrap-metal loads. It looks like scrap iron market volumes might be recovering.
  by expbusop

2813 with 2 spacers 3 propane cars a flat car with stick rail and caboose at Highbridge at 8:30am. Seems like B749 only has one engine lately instead of 2.
  by AMK0123

I used to catch the night trains daily going through Cold Spring till about a year or so ago. I saw a picture from the other day of a daytime Q701. Looked to have all mixed freight on it. Also Mr. Grice posted a picture of a Q7.. with all sludge containers the other day. My question is, is CSX still running a separate mixed freight Q43* and Q70* n the Hudson line or have they been combining them like they are doing on the River line with the trash cars on Q438/439??? I know back a few years ago there was always the two trains except for maybe Sunday night they would combine the train, usually with trash cars up front and mixed on the rear... Also for the guys near Oak Point, have you noticed an increase in carloads over the past year or so or a decline?
  by rr503

There was an AAR car in Highbridge today.
It looked like a brick, and had a streamlined passenger car attached to it.
  by expbusop

AAR Truck Loading Vehicle and coach at north end of Highbridge Yard building. Was that a former locomotive like the NS inspection car?
  by expbusop

12:45pm Tues 8762 and 8869 with mixed freight and green and brown trash cars entering the link at Highbridge. Outlaw or coming down on different schedule?
  by expbusop

Sorry Track Loading Vehicle