• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Noel Weaver

Let me know when these Lobster treats are going to happen, it might be worth a trip up from Florida. :-D :-D
Noel Weaver
  by Otto Vondrak

H.F.Malone wrote:"Should I be worried if someone suddenly consigns 300 live lobsters for delivery via NAUG? "

Don't worry, Otto, Omar is a good chef and knows just how to handle those crustaceans. You just bring plenty 'o buttah. And an appetite.
Hey, all I know is HFM was historically opposed to shipping lobsters over his railroad, as noted in the well-known 1959 documentary "It Happened to Jane."

With all this new freight business coming soon to the NAUG, I was just asking if HFM's policies on handling live cargo to small towns have mellowed over the years.

-otto-
  by H.F.Malone

It may start the trip as "live cargo"..... or is that "S-Cargo"? :wink:
  by bwparker1

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
CannaScrews wrote:Usually, open top hoppers. But you could probably use bathtub gons which where used in coal hauling service, depending on what unloading facilities are in place at the destination.

The jury is out on what this facility is going to employ. When they show up, that'll be what will be used.
What CSOR uses is probably indicative of what Naugy + PAS will use, so drive-by of Hartford Yard would be instructive. CSOR is Connecticut's leading carrier of C&D traffic and may be interchanging (some? all?) of these loads to bring to the big CRRA sorting facility in Hartford near Brainerd Airport. This new Naugy customer is a CRRA affiliate. But even if there's no interchanging going on there's enough C&D cars circulating in/out of the region that all the players are likely to dip into the same general equipment pool.
Much of this information above needs to be corrected because it is just wrong. CRRA no longer exists, the entity is now named the CT Materials Innovation and Recycling Authority (MIRA). Even when it was CRRA, they had no bearing or involvement in the C&D business. The Hartford C&D facility is run by Murphy Road Recycling, which is an affiliate of the USA Hauling and Recycling family of companies. The facility being built currently in Watertown is also private, Frost Bridge Associates, and has no relation to MIRA/CRRA.
  by H.F.Malone

Frost Bridge C&D Yard on Thursday, April 14. Yard tracks have been surfaced, mainline turnout is installed, other yard turnouts are complete.
DSC_2404 (800x530).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by daylight4449

H.F.Malone wrote:Frost Bridge C&D Yard on Thursday, April 14. Yard tracks have been surfaced, mainline turnout is installed, other yard turnouts are complete.
DSC_2404 (800x530).jpg
Good stuff Malone...
  by CannaScrews

Just about all of the trackwork is complete at the new freight customer.
C&D yard bumber posts 1k.jpg
C&D yard lead 1j.jpg
C&D yard derail to other rail 1K.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ATK

Yes, God forbid that a car go over the derail, it should derail the car A-W-A-Y from the main track!

Nice bumpers!
  by CannaScrews

I'm sure the bumpers will be "tested" with the trackmobile. I wonder if it will have trainline air. Not on the property yet. There's a little bit of a grade from the mainline track to the throat - a 4' differential otherwise the rest of the tracks are flat.

The derail was properly placed about 1/2 hour after the image was made. The big 'D' is not for Dallas
  by GP40MC1118

Isn't that B39-8E lettered for Taconic & Berkshire Rail Technologies (8537) for this operation?
Unit came south today on PAR EDPL...

D
  by CannaScrews

Signal Mast install 2small.jpg
Setting the train order mast at Thomaston Station.
  by whatelyrailfan

GP40MC1118 wrote:Isn't that B39-8E lettered for Taconic & Berkshire Rail Technologies (8537) for this operation?

D
That's what I've been wondering for the last two weeks, ever since I saw the locomotive and found out it was going to Connecticut.
Peace,
Jonathan
  by CannaScrews

GP40MC1118 wrote:
Isn't that B39-8E lettered for Taconic & Berkshire Rail Technologies (8537) for this operation?
8537 is under lease to the Naugatuck RR and on the property.

Someone got photos of the interchange & on the move. I don't know who, but the vehicle is registered in Mass. No, I didn't get the tag #. :P