• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by CannaScrews

BostonUrbEx wrote:What is anticipated for service here? How many cars will be churned out on a daily/weekly basis?
I donno. But there is space for 44 55' cars in the 3 track yard. So let the rumors fly as you see fit.

To be sure, once the facility starts up, you can count the cars as they go by.
  by daylight4449

So what do you even use to haul out C&D anyway? I'd assume hoppers of some sort. Inquiring minds want to know...
  by CannaScrews

Usually, open top hoppers. But you could probably use bathtub gons which where used in coal hauling service, depending on what unloading facilities are in place at the destination.

The jury is out on what this facility is going to employ. When they show up, that'll be what will be used.
  by tj48

Coastal Distribution a C&D company here on Long Island uses a couple of different types of open hopper cars. Just a few of the types I've seen.
From rrpicturearchives.net:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1552815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3074664" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3800053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

CannaScrews wrote:Usually, open top hoppers. But you could probably use bathtub gons which where used in coal hauling service, depending on what unloading facilities are in place at the destination.

The jury is out on what this facility is going to employ. When they show up, that'll be what will be used.
What CSOR uses is probably indicative of what Naugy + PAS will use, so drive-by of Hartford Yard would be instructive. CSOR is Connecticut's leading carrier of C&D traffic and may be interchanging (some? all?) of these loads to bring to the big CRRA sorting facility in Hartford near Brainerd Airport. This new Naugy customer is a CRRA affiliate. But even if there's no interchanging going on there's enough C&D cars circulating in/out of the region that all the players are likely to dip into the same general equipment pool.
  by FLRailFan1

Cosmo wrote:
FLRailFan1 wrote:It would be funny if the NH2525 was the locomotive to move the C&D Business...See the Valley move C&D with their #47 steam locomotve... that would be cool!!
The Valley doesn't have a #47.
Most likely if ever, they would use one or more of their 80-tonners... that's IF EVER.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program. :wink:
I meant the 40 the 2-8-2 from the Aberdeen & Rockfish. The old Crab Apple and Egyptian used a steam until 1980s. The Reader had one until the 70s.
  by CannaScrews

Railroads are about economics. Diesels are cheaper, period.

Some people in management involved with railroads do like steam locomotives and love to see them run, but NOT on their railroad to earn their keep. They know. That's how they got into that position in the first place.

Being a railfan is one thing, being a foamer is another.

Being cool does not pay for your SD card & batteries to take images of steam locomotives.

Remember the 5 word curse - "All's you gotta do is..."
  by Jeff Smith

From the Naugatuck Freight Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NaugatuckRailr ... t/?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think this is great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by daylight4449

Someone in the know might need to chime in, but they might be prepping for pavement...
  by H.F.Malone

A standard NAUG industrial track specification is being followed in the construction of the yard. What you see is not sand, just wet crushed stone, freshly spread. After one rain storm, it looked just fine. Yard tracks and lead tracks will not be paved, but will be finished as "open track".
  by Otto Vondrak

H.F.Malone wrote:A standard NAUG industrial track specification is being followed in the construction of the yard.
Should I be worried if someone suddenly consigns 300 live lobsters for delivery via NAUG?

-otto-
  by H.F.Malone

"Should I be worried if someone suddenly consigns 300 live lobsters for delivery via NAUG? "

Don't worry, Otto, Omar is a good chef and knows just how to handle those crustaceans. You just bring plenty 'o buttah. And an appetite.
  by CannaScrews

We got a 3-burner stove that can melt lead for the muskets & a 14 gallon pot to put the lobstas in so the watah will be a-boilin' heavily.
We'll just use ghee instead of buttah (snickah).

Walter J goes to the back of the line, then 2nds will be given.
  by Cosmo

ON LITTLE ROUND TOP:
Chamberlin: The rebs are comin' and we can't stop em. We stay here, we can't shoot, we leave, the whole line goes...
...so, we fix lobsters!
Tom: Are you NUTS?
Chamberlin: Nah, the rebs are tired. They're hungry. We fix lobsters, they'll stop to eat!
AND SO THE DAY WAS WON BY CLEVER MAINERS!

Now back to your regular program. :wink: