Railroad Forums 

• Work on Valley Road crossing?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1342504  by greyhairedpete

Looks like work is being done on the OOS Valley Road crossing in Hillsborough, (the one that goes into the Hercules Enterprises plant). Anyone have any info? Is NS going to serve this business?
 #1345565  by 908rails

Since these photos were taken, NS has now laid gravel on top of the dirt in the ROW that has been cut out of the woods.
 #1345577  by pumpers

908rails wrote:Since these photos were taken, NS has now laid gravel on top of the dirt in the ROW that has been cut out of the woods.
So there were no existing rails on the south side in the woods, unlike the rails visible in the north side photos?
Seems promising!
Jim S
 #1345608  by 908rails

pumpers wrote:
908rails wrote:Since these photos were taken, NS has now laid gravel on top of the dirt in the ROW that has been cut out of the woods.
So there were no existing rails on the south side in the woods, unlike the rails visible in the north side photos?
Seems promising!
Jim S
Correct, it appears the south side of this crossing has had the ROW completely excavated up to the Lehigh Line just west of CP Sully(old Royce Runner) and the Aeropres Corporation switch currently served by Allentown based local H74/76 delivering tank cars a few days a week.

The Hercules Enterprises Corp also has a sign at the entrance to the property on Valley Road that says Sea Box. Intermodal supplies/equipment are built/assembled here.

More to come?
 #1345635  by ccutler

I rode past there on my bike on Sunday and took a close look. I believe the ballast there is from the construction of the original siding. There was even an old tie plate laying in the middle of the ballast. So unless something happened on Monday or Tuesday, I don't think they are relaying the siding.

Hopefully I am wrong.

I also noticed some blue markings from the water company in the area, and was wondering if the track removal work was related to water pipework in the area.
 #1345716  by ccutler

Sorry to disappoint, but the photo does show a de minimis amount of old, brownish ballast. That's what I saw on Sunday.

I would love to see that spur being rehabbed and used. I believe the facility repairs seagoing shipping containers, but I'm not sure.
 #1345876  by CTL10D

"....I also noticed some blue markings from the water company in the area, and was wondering if the track removal work was related to water pipework in the area..."

I work for NJ American water in Hillsborough, and as far as I know we have nothing going on over there, although I`ll dig into it. The markout isn`t neccessarily for water work, any utility company could be doing work there, they have to call for a markout to know where all the utilities are. However if NS was indeed doing track/crossing work there, they too would have to call for a markout. We`ll see what happens I suppose....
 #1345912  by Ken W2KB

CTL10D wrote:"....I also noticed some blue markings from the water company in the area, and was wondering if the track removal work was related to water pipework in the area..."

I work for NJ American water in Hillsborough, and as far as I know we have nothing going on over there, although I`ll dig into it. The markout isn`t neccessarily for water work, any utility company could be doing work there, they have to call for a markout to know where all the utilities are. However if NS was indeed doing track/crossing work there, they too would have to call for a markout. We`ll see what happens I suppose....
To supplement, NJ law, with a few limited exceptions none of which are applicble in this instance, requires everyone digging anywhere to a depth of more than 6 inches, a few days before starting the dig to call telephone number 811 to notify and requiring all utilities to prompty mark out any underground facilities using specific colors.
 #1348531  by trackwelder

Ken W2KB wrote:
CTL10D wrote:"....I also noticed some blue markings from the water company in the area, and was wondering if the track removal work was related to water pipework in the area..."

To supplement, NJ law, with a few limited exceptions none of which are applicble in this instance, requires everyone digging anywhere to a depth of more than 6 inches, a few days before starting the dig to call telephone number 811 to notify and requiring all utilities to prompty mark out any underground facilities using specific colors.

6 inches? my dog digs deeper than that.