• Retirements and Disposition of CR Equipment

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Screamer 1000

I was talking to an engineer on the Cape Cod Centeral RR and he said that they were trying to get a screamer to use for their short line excursion and dinner trains
  by Mass Coastal 2010

I know who you are taking about! LOL I don't think it will happen though.
-Mike
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

jmar896 wrote:Does the MBTA really have enough extra locomotives to start storing GP40MCs? After this past winter I think not, sure lots of HSP46s were delivered but all of the screamers were stored. After the Rail World lease unit's are returned will there be enough spares?
1132's been dead for close to a year, and a couple of the other Geeps have been "active" in name only. These are the worst-of-the-worst cases that weren't long for this world without pointlessly expensive and/or futile repairs. The tougher decisions on what to keep and what to part out while maintaining adequate reserves are yet to come.
  by Gerry6309

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
jmar896 wrote:Does the MBTA really have enough extra locomotives to start storing GP40MCs? After this past winter I think not, sure lots of HSP46s were delivered but all of the screamers were stored. After the Rail World lease unit's are returned will there be enough spares?
1132's been dead for close to a year, and a couple of the other Geeps have been "active" in name only. These are the worst-of-the-worst cases that weren't long for this world without pointlessly expensive and/or futile repairs. The tougher decisions on what to keep and what to part out while maintaining adequate reserves are yet to come.
Also, one should note that the GP-40MCs are old freight locomotives rebuilt for passenger service. Some, if not all, go back farther than the screamers! Some are just plain worn out. Remember too, that the old GP-7s and GP-9s etc. with the 567 prime mover are naturally aspirated, nothing turns faster than the crankshaft. The turbochargers on the newer stuff have short lives, but allow higher horsepower output. Therefore, sooner or later, they wear out. With a 567 put in new cylinder liners and bearings and you are good for another million miles.

Sadly, it seems that it may take 3 HSP-46s to replace 1 screamer or GP-40MC unless we add a tender with 3 mechanics, 2 electricians and a software engineer for repairs in the field. Oh, add a window cleaner to get out and wipe the soot off the windshield and headlight.
  by ck4049

The 1132 has been in and out of service off and on over the years. It probably spent more time in and around the shop than it did hooked up to a consist. It's been well over two years since it last ran.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

There any word as to what the target number of Geep retirees is going to be. The party line all along has been "10-15", but is current thinking trending to the over or the under?
  by Mass Coastal 2010

Anybody know if 1009 is still in Neponset Yard? Four GP40MC's are in E. Wareham with a screamer (possibly 1009 or 1004). Anybody have any numbers on these units in Wareham?
-Mike
  by GP40MC1118

Should be the 1117, 1120,1127 & 1137. They left BET August 17th.

The 1004 & 1014 still at BET.

1013 may be the other F40 at East Wareham.

D
  by Mass Coastal 2010

1013 is in Rochester as far as I know. It is with the 1000 and the 1010. It could be it but I was told it was 1009.
-Mike
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Mass Coastal 2010 wrote:Anybody know if 1009 is still in Neponset Yard? Four GP40MC's are in E. Wareham with a screamer (possibly 1009 or 1004). Anybody have any numbers on these units in Wareham?
-Mike
1009 has been gone for about 2 weeks now, I'm assuming down in Rochester
  by Mass Coastal 2010

Thank you! I think 1009 is the one down in East Wareahm with the four GP40MC's.
-Mike
  by Mass Coastal 2010

East Wareham 9/19/15:
Equipment:
Four GP40MC's: 1117, 1120, 1127, 1137
F40PH: 1009

Other:
MC Energy Train hopper
MBTA flanger 64711 (On the main track) 
-Mike