• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ThirdRail7

Once a few more mods are finished on the in service group or the new batch from the factory pass muster, they will ship more bags west.
  by ApproachMedium

I would imagine keeping them in the eastern pool makes it easier to cycle them thru Hialaeh for mods etc.
  by ngotwalt

According to other web boards, a baggage car went west on the Builder today in revenue service.
Cheers,
Nick
  by ApproachMedium

I forgot to post but saturday I was in DC and the cap departed with 3 LDSL bags at the head end, 822 was trailing and coupled to them and then there was the 1700 bag.
  by ACeInTheHole

And now, today's 29 looks like it will have one in revenue service. Here we go.
  by Backshophoss

Possibly sent to train the shop crews at Redondo Jct Yard.
  by jp1822

ngotwalt wrote:According to other web boards, a baggage car went west on the Builder today in revenue service.
Cheers,
Nick
Appears they will be a regular on the Builder now. I think any EB will be sporting the new car!
  by Greg Moore

Seems to me it's about time that another batch should be heading out.

Any word or sightings?
  by NH2060

There were not just 1 but 2 new baggage cars on Train 66 this morning. Car #s were (I think) 61010 and 61017.
  by Matt Johnson

NH2060 wrote:There were not just 1 but 2 new baggage cars on Train 66 this morning. Car #s were (I think) 61010 and 61017.
Second one must've been added further up the line, as it only had one leaving Williamsburg.
  by jp1822

So the baggage cars are coming along....great.....

What's the status of the other THREE car types - specifically the Diner and Sleepers.

How about getting the Diners out to gain some efficiencies and get rid of this whole questionable experiment with the a
silver Star...

Honestly coach passengers may pay the meal cost to dine in these great new cars!!!!

I find it interesting that the Viewliner Diner wasn't made into a combo cafe/full diner car. Gunn floated this idea - carving out part of the kitchen area end to serve cafe food....

Amtrak's Viewliner Diner is going to be an interesting car. It partially fills the void of eastern LD trains not having a Superliner Sightseer equivalent. I ate meals in this car while on the Lake Shore and didn't want to leave. This is a perfect car to open up late morning or early afternoon for "sightseers." Moreover, serve drinks, snacks, or a special brunch - two selections or so like the Pacific Parlor Car. Kick people out half hour before lunch or dinner....
  by Gilbert B Norman

Well yesterday, had a rare sighting of late - #3 (4) passing here "more or less on time".

But, still waiting to see a V-Bag in the consist - and the #17XX H-Bag (ex UP Coach) looked like "last legs".
  by Matt Johnson

I rarely see a Heritage car here in Virginia anymore. Viewliner bags are the norm on 66/67. (or 65/66 or whatever the train #s are now)

I'm still of the opinion that the Phase 3 was a mistake and the consists would look 100% better in uniform matching Phase IVb!